RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Belma Hops

read 4129 times • 37 replies • posted 11/10/2012 4:08:30 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

premium
BBB63 5743:132
I local brewery used these single hopped in an APA, good tropical notes but not as aggressive as I thought they would be.
11/30/2012 2:08:33 PM

Private message send the author a private message

cbkschubert 2900:44
Originally posted by BBB63
I local brewery used these single hopped in an APA, good tropical notes but not as aggressive as I thought they would be.

I plan on brewing a single hop IPA using these hops real soon. More late additions, more early? Howís the astringency?
11/30/2012 4:03:32 PM

premium
BBB63 5743:132
Originally posted by cbkschubert
Originally posted by BBB63

I plan on brewing a single hop IPA using these hops real soon. More late additions, more early? Howís the astringency?

light to moderate astringent notes... lots of late additions would be recommended.

11/30/2012 4:29:44 PM

premium
JulienHuxley 2514:181
So how are your beers coming out guys? After seeing this thread I hopped onto the bandwagon and got two pounds from hopsdirect. Brewed a single hop APA yesterday looking forward to the results. Is it just me or were those bags so cheap because they were the branchiest, leafiest hops ever? I got a lot of junk in my bag, same with you guys?
1/3/2013 7:55:36 AM

cbkschubert 2900:44
Originally posted by JulienHuxley
So how are your beers coming out guys? After seeing this thread I hopped onto the bandwagon and got two pounds from hopsdirect. Brewed a single hop APA yesterday looking forward to the results. Is it just me or were those bags so cheap because they were the branchiest, leafiest hops ever? I got a lot of junk in my bag, same with you guys?

I brewed with the Hops Direct Belma hops for the first time today. Like you, I picked out a good bit more stem, vine, and leaf than I hoped to. Never had that much junk in the hops I bought from Freshops. I pulled one piece out that was about 5 inches long and a 1/4 inch thick. Iíll reserve my opinion of the hop until I taste the beer. Still, they need to be a little more careful during processing.
1/9/2013 12:43:53 PM

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
Originally posted by cbkschubert
Originally posted by JulienHuxley

I brewed with the Hops Direct Belma hops for the first time today. Like you, I picked out a good bit more stem, vine, and leaf than I hoped to. Never had that much junk in the hops I bought from Freshops. I pulled one piece out that was about 5 inches long and a 1/4 inch thick. Iíll reserve my opinion of the hop until I taste the beer. Still, they need to be a little more careful during processing.

Maybe they have new equipment that needs to be tweaked? Maybe theyíre trying to push more hops through processing in the same timeframe? Iíve gotten hops from them in the past with little or no junk in it.

If youíve ever seen hops being processed, youíll notice that very little "care" goes into sorting the flowers from the rest of the plant. Itís all completely mechanized and the name of the game is speed, once theyíve decided itís time to harvest.
1/9/2013 8:27:01 PM

premium
keanex 1289:51
I tried a few beers with it and have read otherís opinions and the flavor and aroma is very mild.
1/9/2013 8:30:24 PM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by keanex
I tried a few beers with it and have read otherís opinions and the flavor and aroma is very mild.

Iíll be using the whole lb. that I have during cooling, so that should take care of any mildness that there might be.
1/10/2013 5:02:51 AM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by keanex

Iíll be using the whole lb. that I have during cooling, so that should take care of any mildness that there might be.

Only used 10 oz. at flame out.
1/30/2013 12:31:14 PM

premium
JulienHuxley 2514:181
My IPA turned out quite well, very nice grapefruit character. Looking forward to my IIPA!
2/1/2013 4:36:34 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add