Belma Hops

Reads 5942 • Replies 37 • Started Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:08:30 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

ucusty
beers 2692 º places 52 º 17:01 Fri 2/1/2013

My friend made a belma pale ale. its was okay...

PlinyandCitra
22:55 Fri 2/1/2013

They don’t have the punch I want. Kinda weak. Makes sense for the price.

HornyDevil
05:54 Mon 2/18/2013

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by keanex
I tried a few beers with it and have read other’s opinions and the flavor and aroma is very mild.

I’ll be using the whole lb. that I have during cooling, so that should take care of any mildness that there might be.

Only used 10 oz. at flame out.

Bottled this yesterday and it tasted fantastic. Anxious for it to carbonate. Will report back in a couple weeks.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 06:58 Mon 2/18/2013

My SH IPA I made with Belma is almost gone. Grapefruit juice by the pint ;)

rudolf
beers 2359 º places 104 º 07:52 Mon 2/18/2013

Paul/Dickinsonbeer/Spiderbite and I/Community Beer Works brewed a batch of Belma IPA on Friday.

- 1.07 SG
- calculated at 56IBUS but lots added to the whirlpool that don’t get calculated..

Its pretty good right now. As noted they’re a restrained hop - certainly not something with anywhere near the intensity of most hops being used in American IPAs these days.

Paul and I had each ordered 5# of pellets & interestingly we got bags labeled at different AAUs - 9.8 and 11.3. We went with the 9.8s as the 11.3s had some onion/garlic character.

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 08:56 Mon 2/18/2013

I’ve been using belma pellets as a FWH addition for my past few beers although only 1 of them has been ready yet. The bitterness from it seemed clean. I’ll know more about them as a FWH and 60min in the next few months. Everything I’ve heard about them doesn’t really make me want to use them in later additions.

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 08:58 Mon 2/18/2013

Originally posted by JulienHuxley

I haven’t heard much grapefruit associated with it. How much and when did you use ’em?

HornyDevil
12:32 Mon 2/25/2013

Originally posted by keanex
I tried a few beers with it and have read other’s opinions and the flavor and aroma is very mild.

I’ll be using the whole lb. that I have during cooling, so that should take care of any mildness that there might be.

Only used 10 oz. at flame out.

Bottled this yesterday and it tasted fantastic. Anxious for it to carbonate. Will report back in a couple weeks.

Had a bottle this weekend. Lovely beer, but the Belma characteristic was pretty subtle. A nice hop, but certainly a subtle one. Nice fruity and floral character to it, though.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 13:31 Mon 2/25/2013

Originally posted by drewbeerme
Originally posted by JulienHuxley

I haven’t heard much grapefruit associated with it. How much and when did you use ’em?

.5oz FW, .5 oz 60, 1oz @10, 1 oz @3 and 1oz @1. 3 oz dry hop for four days.

Grainbill was something like 8lbs marris otter, 2 lbs wheat, 1 lb melanoidin.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 13:32 Mon 2/25/2013

Aroma is tame, but def. grapefruity.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer