Berliner Weiss with fruit- not a fruit beer?

Reads 17466 • Replies 262 • Started Sunday, May 20, 2012 9:39:42 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Jahlove
11:21 Wed 5/23/2012

I don’t work for him. Just curious to know if hand bottling, when done correctly, is considered a bad thing.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 11:22 Wed 5/23/2012

Originally posted by adnielsen
where the hell do i get the pez beer? does john’s grocery carry it?

I wish. The only berliners we get are stale 1809 and some other one that is never fresh.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 11:22 Wed 5/23/2012

Originally posted by cquiroga
Originally posted by PEGsBrewPub
Just to clarify, this was not meant to be disrespectful to anybody, and I dont think anybody is claiming somebody in Florida is the first to make low grav lactic sour fruit beers, I have met a couple home brewers, and know of DDC’s stuff. Peg’s, just like every other brewer, is building off of what has been done in the past drawing inspiration from historic styles and boundary stretching breweries to hopefully create new, interesting and delicious craft beer. I think we all owe a thank you to brewers in the past and present for inspiring innovation in this and all styles.

The debate arose because in Florida, 41 unique beers sharing a common thread were available from 6 different brewers across the state and none fit into an existing style category. That kind of tap list is not, and at this time could not exist anywhere else in the world and makes a strong case for a regional beer style. Nobody is claiming Florida is better, or the first, but I think its clear that brewers in this state and by extension beer drinkers in Florida are by far the most enthusiastic about it and push the yet to be determined style to new limits year after year. Regardless of the name, and I think Berliner Weisse - Fruit is a disservice to Berliner Weisse as a historic style, the purpose of this discussion is to identify and acknowledge the innovation going on with lactic souring and its potential and so far Florida leads the way. I really enjoy these beers, and would love to see more of them produced inside and outside of Florida, but right now very few brewers are producing them.

My apologies to anybody who was offended, our enthusiasm for a regional event like none other was not meant to divide ourselves from others in craft beer but to put ourselves accurately into the logs.

"Year after year"???? FOR TWO YEARS! Am I wrong on that point? Isn’t this an extremely recent trend?

And among those 41 "unique" beers, are we really talking about 41 distinct brewing recipes with different malt bills and/or hop bills and/or mash processes, etc.? Or are some of these actually duplicate base beers with different fruit combinations added in secondary? I’d hardly call this a "brewing revolution" when you’re basically taking an established, classic style and adding some kind of fruit medley to put a novel twist on it (however delicious the end result may be).

By your logic, if I convinced 6 brewers to, say, brew a batch of IPA and then separated their IPA’s into 41 or 50 different secondary fermentation vessels and spiked them each with different combinations of fruit, I could then go and claim a "new style" and call it "Tujunga Pale Ale" because that’s where I live, propose it to BJCP and the RateBeer database, and simply ignore the fact that other brewers throughout the world have made IPA’s and added fruit to them before?

Hmmm... Sounds tempting. And at least a little bit inane.

You take this way too seriously, and have an astounding amount of butthurt over it.

One of the things you don’t realize is many of us in Florida have been begging for this for a long time. The only real Berlinner we could get was 1809. We gave up on asking breweries to cater to us, and our hot summers. So, we decided to start making a ton of it ourselves, and adding more fruit to it.
Sure, other breweries have made fruity Berlinners, but it never caught on. Nobody else has started what ammounts to a beer revolution. If these fruity Berlinners catch on because of what Florida’s breweries have done, then we have every right to call it Floridaweiss.

I know I’m calling it Floridaweiss from now on. You can call it Preperation H.

INB4.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 11:24 Wed 5/23/2012

nb4

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 11:26 Wed 5/23/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum
Originally posted by GodOfThunder

You take this way too seriously, and have an astounding amount of butthurt over it.

One of the things you don’t realize is many of us in Florida have been begging for this for a long time. The only real Berlinner we could get was 1809. We gave up on asking breweries to cater to us, and our hot summers. So, we decided to start making a ton of it ourselves, and adding more fruit to it.
Sure, other breweries have made fruity Berlinners, but it never caught on. Nobody else has started what ammounts to a beer revolution. If these fruity Berlinners catch on because of what Florida’s breweries have done, then we have every right to call it Floridaweiss.

INB4.

To be fair, JJ.. the vocal minority in this thread seem to be the ones that take this far too seriously..

And there are very few who are worried about this.. or complaining.. the minority just appears very vocal in this thread.

You know.. not one of the few complainers here became proactive and created a tag and started tagging the versions they wanted tagged.. to create a custom list of all the Florida ones they seemed to want. They instead decided contacting BJCP was their best option.. a guideline that RateBeer doesn’t even really follow as far as how we break out style...

Savvy1982
beers 1706 º places 70 º 11:30 Wed 5/23/2012

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
Originally posted by cquiroga
Originally posted by PEGsBrewPub
Just to clarify, this was not meant to be disrespectful to anybody, and I dont think anybody is claiming somebody in Florida is the first to make low grav lactic sour fruit beers, I have met a couple home brewers, and know of DDC’s stuff. Peg’s, just like every other brewer, is building off of what has been done in the past drawing inspiration from historic styles and boundary stretching breweries to hopefully create new, interesting and delicious craft beer. I think we all owe a thank you to brewers in the past and present for inspiring innovation in this and all styles.

The debate arose because in Florida, 41 unique beers sharing a common thread were available from 6 different brewers across the state and none fit into an existing style category. That kind of tap list is not, and at this time could not exist anywhere else in the world and makes a strong case for a regional beer style. Nobody is claiming Florida is better, or the first, but I think its clear that brewers in this state and by extension beer drinkers in Florida are by far the most enthusiastic about it and push the yet to be determined style to new limits year after year. Regardless of the name, and I think Berliner Weisse - Fruit is a disservice to Berliner Weisse as a historic style, the purpose of this discussion is to identify and acknowledge the innovation going on with lactic souring and its potential and so far Florida leads the way. I really enjoy these beers, and would love to see more of them produced inside and outside of Florida, but right now very few brewers are producing them.

My apologies to anybody who was offended, our enthusiasm for a regional event like none other was not meant to divide ourselves from others in craft beer but to put ourselves accurately into the logs.

"Year after year"???? FOR TWO YEARS! Am I wrong on that point? Isn’t this an extremely recent trend?

And among those 41 "unique" beers, are we really talking about 41 distinct brewing recipes with different malt bills and/or hop bills and/or mash processes, etc.? Or are some of these actually duplicate base beers with different fruit combinations added in secondary? I’d hardly call this a "brewing revolution" when you’re basically taking an established, classic style and adding some kind of fruit medley to put a novel twist on it (however delicious the end result may be).

By your logic, if I convinced 6 brewers to, say, brew a batch of IPA and then separated their IPA’s into 41 or 50 different secondary fermentation vessels and spiked them each with different combinations of fruit, I could then go and claim a "new style" and call it "Tujunga Pale Ale" because that’s where I live, propose it to BJCP and the RateBeer database, and simply ignore the fact that other brewers throughout the world have made IPA’s and added fruit to them before?

Hmmm... Sounds tempting. And at least a little bit inane.

INB4.

Agree with everything you said here except:

Miami Weiss > Floridaweiss

gunhaver
beers 1030 º places 13 º 11:35 Wed 5/23/2012

Originally posted by Jahlove
I don’t work for him. Just curious to know if hand bottling, when done correctly, is considered a bad thing.

the issue with bob hand bottling is that he literally scoops his hands into his beer tanks and drizzles the beer into each bottle

every bottle of saint somewhere varies depending on what bob was doing immediately before bottling

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 11:38 Wed 5/23/2012

I don’t know if these should remain Fruit Beers (Because some of the one’s from down there I’ve had truly aren’t sour) or Sour/Wild (Because some are very much so).. but this seems like entirely too much time to spend on a thread that some Floridians are getting upset that they won’t be style designated at Berliner Weisse..

I really think a tag could do wonders here..

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 11:39 Wed 5/23/2012

Originally posted by gunhaver
Originally posted by Jahlove

the issue with bob hand bottling is that he literally scoops his hands into his beer tanks and drizzles the beer into each bottle

every bottle of saint somewhere varies depending on what bob was doing immediately before bottling

Those post defecation bottles are a doozy

Rustyham
beers 1836 º places 106 º 11:46 Wed 5/23/2012

From what I understand, only admins can create tags.