Berliner Weiss with fruit- not a fruit beer?

Reads 17465 • Replies 262 • Started Sunday, May 20, 2012 9:39:42 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

MeadMe
beers 1711 º places 1 º 06:46 Tue 5/22/2012

Originally posted by flabeer
What is the argument against a new style particular to Florida?

I’m for a new style. Putting Florida as part of the name since it was the place of origin was a joke. Would be funny to see it become real though.

MeadMe
beers 1711 º places 1 º 06:47 Tue 5/22/2012

Originally posted by gunhaver
i’m all for more power of the tagging system/overhaul of the current style system. the berliners coming out of Florida right now can fit several categories, as can numerous other beers that have been produced over the years. and the controversy with cramming a beer into a specific category isn’t going to go away anytime soon as more and more breweries do interesting/silly/stupid/cool/innovative/awful things to the beers they produce

Can I get an Amen

PEGsBrewPub
06:51 Tue 5/22/2012

Peg’s will happily reclassify the fruit/herb versions as a new style. The evolution is pretty simple to go from BW with syrup (tradition) to skipping the syrup and adding fruit which is how Peg’s started out. I think it is fair to say that the style has evolved beyond anything resembling Berliner Weisse; PFDF, Bloody Berliner, stuff like that is hard to reconcile with the traditional style. The technique for brewing is in some ways irrelevant, and as a sole means for determining the style is a bit silly considering IPA and porter are brewed using the same technique.

How do we get a name and who writes the guidelines?

I would say its something like:

Low gravity lactic sour ales with mild to extreme fruit character, traditionally brewer in Florida.

flabeer
places 2 º 06:52 Tue 5/22/2012

"Berliner" Weiss... "Lipziger" gose..."Belgian" anything... "American" pale ale
Why not have Florida in the name?

gkost
beers 1069 º places 32 º 06:58 Tue 5/22/2012

Florida Weisse: Low gravity lactic sour ales with mild to extreme fruit character (a salute to the addition of syrups in Berliner Weisse beers), traditionally brewed in Florida.

gunhaver
beers 1030 º places 13 º 07:00 Tue 5/22/2012

let’s call it Cascadian Weisse

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 07:03 Tue 5/22/2012

Originally posted by gkost
Florida Weisse: Low gravity lactic sour ales with mild to extreme fruit character (a salute to the addition of syrups in Berliner Weisse beers), traditionally brewed in Florida.

I was trying to drive the Florliner Weisse name..

markwise
beers 5441 º places 209 º 07:08 Tue 5/22/2012

Originally posted by flabeer
"Berliner" Weiss... "Lipziger" gose..."Belgian" anything... "American" pale ale
Why not have Florida in the name?

Hell, if Florida got the Florida Weisse I would say we got a good deal. I never was much of a fan of Cascadian Dark Ales.

flabeer
places 2 º 07:10 Tue 5/22/2012

OK... Now we’re on to something. Probably the best place to start would be
Here and the "other" site with beer in it’s name. Get the admin on board
Or submit for reclassification. BJCP will follow. There are more than a handfull
of extremely influntial Master judges in Florida that would be on board
with getting "X" into the BJCP guidelines...and yes, this does matter.
GABF and World Cup medals are given via BJCP guidelines.

gkost
beers 1069 º places 32 º 07:20 Tue 5/22/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum
I was trying to drive the FlorlinerFlorida Weisse name..