RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Non-US | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Berliner Weisse?

read 2443 times • 27 replies • posted 7/5/2012 1:28:51 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

churchyard
Iím spending the bulk of the summer in Berlin, and Iíd really like to taste some authentic Berliner Weisse. My understanding is that, with the exception of Berlin Kindl Weisse (which Iíve had), those that are being made are only really shipped out of Berlin. Is this true? Are there other sours available here in Berlin?

Advice welcome!
Private message Send the author a private message

Christian 10779:236
Good luck. Youíve come to the wrong place - look in America if you wanna taste berliner weisse
7/5/2012 1:48:16 PM

Private message send the author a private message

billk 352:57
Iíve had this at a German restaurant in Philly.
Interesting but not much flavor. I prefer a tasty, hoppy, dry pils.
7/5/2012 1:58:37 PM

b3shine 4433:233
Originally posted by billk
Iíve had this at a German restaurant in Philly.
Interesting but not much flavor. I prefer a tasty, hoppy, dry pils.

This is one of my favorite low abv beers. Had one tonight with dinner.
7/5/2012 6:19:31 PM

premium
Rasmus40 9838:192
Originally posted by churchyard
Iím spending the bulk of the summer in Berlin, and Iíd really like to taste some authentic Berliner Weisse. My understanding is that, with the exception of Berlin Kindl Weisse (which Iíve had), those that are being made are only really shipped out of Berlin. Is this true? Are there other sours available here in Berlin?

Advice welcome!

The only decent berliner weisse youíll find isthis. It can be found at Der Joachimstaler Bio-Supermarkt, Savignyplatz, Berlin. The only others I managed to find were the Kindls including the three "mit schuss".
7/5/2012 11:40:47 PM

churchyard
Originally posted by Rasmus40
The only decent berliner weisse youíll find isthis. It can be found at Der Joachimstaler Bio-Supermarkt, Savignyplatz, Berlin.

Thanks for the suggestion! Iíll try to track it down. Yes, I know that Berlin isnít a great beer town, but there are still some gems here. Mainly, I wanted to make sure I didnít repeat my experience in Leipzig a couple years ago (when I learned about Gose only after I got home!)

That said, any other great beer suggestions for time in Berlin are welcome. Iíve been told Brubaker and Hops and Barley are among the better bets.
7/6/2012 1:59:11 AM

premium
Erzengel 1912:50
Brewbaker is nice, and beside the Potsdamer WeiŖe, the other beers from Braumanufaktur Potsdam are also not bad.
7/6/2012 2:07:18 AM

premium
Rasmus40 9838:192
The only decent berliner weisse youíll find isthis. It can be found at Der Joachimstaler Bio-Supermarkt, Savignyplatz, Berlin.

That said, any other great beer suggestions for time in Berlin are welcome. Iíve been told Brubaker and Hops and Barley are among the better bets.

There are two stores that I can recommend: Ambrosetti (highly) and Fršnkische Botschaft (depending on what you are looking for). Others seem to like Berlin Bier Shop, but I havenít been there myself.

As far as bars are concerned Berlin is not as well equiped as one could reasonably expect from a city of that size. Out of the 10-20 bars and brewpubs I have visited in Berlin, there isnít a single one that is a must visit.

You might want to go to Potsdam to visit Braumanufaktur Forsthaus Templin, which is supposed to be a great experience in the summertime, but I have only visited Berlin during winter, and thatís a different experience.

As always you should check out the places section before going.
7/6/2012 4:15:09 AM

churchyard
Brewbaker has started brewing a Berliner Weisse. Very tasty!
7/12/2012 9:50:53 AM

premium
Erzengel 1912:50
Brewbaker has started brewing a Berliner Weisse. Very tasty!

Oh - great to hear!!!!
7/17/2012 1:23:56 AM

premium
admin
Oakes 11798:625

You might want to go to Potsdam to visit Braumanufaktur Forsthaus Templin, which is supposed to be a great experience in the summertime, but I have only visited Berlin during winter, and thatís a different experience.

As always you should check out the places section before going.

Itís a nice cabin in the woods. We were there in winter, but I think it would be pretty nice on a sunny afternoon. The bus from the Potsdam train station basically drops you off at the door of the place, so itís not hard to get to at all.
7/17/2012 3:56:35 AM

Home > Forums > Non-US

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers