RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Non-US | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Berliner Weisse?

read 2491 times • 27 replies • posted 7/5/2012 1:28:51 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

bogkbier
I’m working on something there. Original recipe, original Brett. And it seems enough Berliners actually remember Berliner Weiße as it used to be and want it back.

Check out: http://www.inkubato.com/de/projekte/bogkbier

Demand is huge, but I might have a bottle to spare for travelling beer enthusiasts.
7/18/2012 8:09:03 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Koelschtrinker 10435:2
Originally posted by bogkbier
I’m working on something there. Original recipe, original Brett. And it seems enough Berliners actually remember Berliner Weiße as it used to be and want it back.

Check out: http://www.inkubato.com/de/projekte/bogkbier

Demand is huge, but I might have a bottle to spare for travelling beer enthusiasts.

Andreas, du MUSST mir einfach eine Flasche geben
7/18/2012 8:28:04 AM

bogkbier
Originally posted by Koelschtrinker
Andreas, du MUSST mir einfach eine Flasche geben

Na klar, bekommste! Schick mir mal deine Adresse noch mal an andreas at bogk-bier.de!
7/18/2012 9:43:37 AM

premium
admin
joet 2156:91
interesting to see and taste "sick" berliner weisse as the addition of brettanomyces becomes broadly accepted. please be patient! don’t forget the pedio rest. :-)
7/18/2012 11:38:48 AM

bogkbier
Originally posted by joet
interesting to see and taste "sick" berliner weisse as the addition of brettanomyces becomes broadly accepted. please be patient! don’t forget the pedio rest. :-)

Prof. Methner, current chair of brewing science at TU Berlin, did his PhD thesis on the microbiology and chemistry of Berliner Weiße. His evicence is pretty compelling: he found living brettanomyces and its signature esters in almost all samples he analyzed. That was in the 80s, and the only exception being Kindl, who moved to pure cultures and separate fermentation before the role of brett in Berliner Weiße was discovered.

Also, the brett I am using (not sure how much you got from the German text I linked to) comes from the dregs of an 1989 vintage Berliner Weiße from Schultheiß (East). In my eyes, brettanomyces in Berliner Weiße is not just a good idea, it’s historically correct and required to be in style.

As for the pedios, Prof. Methner only found pedios in one storage tank during his analysis. However, old texts talk about "das Langwerden des Bieres", i.e., the beer occasionally becoming ropey, which is a sure sign of a pedio infection. The texts also say that the ropiness will go away after waiting long enough, and that the beer will turn out to be pleasantly wine-like in character.

So pedios were the exception rather than the norm, but I am tempted to make a batch one day just for kicks.

And don’t worry, no Weiße will leave the house without at least three months of lagering. :)
7/18/2012 12:58:13 PM

premium
admin
cool stuff! yes, I think the brett is not only historically accurate but also adds a drying finish with some slight brett character that makes the beer more pleasurable, quaffable. Interesting that the isolation of brett from pedio was so reliable.
7/18/2012 1:09:52 PM

premium
admin
i guess this makes sense if they were pitching it rather than merely succumbing to whatever microflora had taken residence in a barrel.
7/18/2012 1:10:56 PM

premium
OldStyleCubFan 77:15
I have a few Berliner Weiße from Schultheiß from the 80s as well. If any US brewer has the means and desire to do some analysis on the bottle to look for Brett and culture from the bottle etc...send me a PM.
7/18/2012 1:34:50 PM

premium
KnutAlbert 6067:300
The Meierei in Potzdam is also well worth a visit. I’d recommend renting a bike for the day.

In Berlin I really enjoyed the brewpub in Köpenick, well worth the trip.
7/23/2012 3:14:31 AM

premium
Marko 3904:204
Definitely Potsdamer Weisse. And if you can find Wöllnitzer Weissbier too, that’s a superb light sour German wheat beer too.
7/23/2012 4:09:27 AM

Home > Forums > Non-US

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers