Best beer to use in a Roast?

Reads 2158 • Replies 15 • Started Friday, January 10, 2014 11:42:34 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

fidelis83
beers 3779 º places 16 º 21:01 Sat 1/11/2014

Originally posted by Tibeerious
I like smuttynose robust porter in a pot roast

I was going to suggest something with roasty and nutty notes, this sounds good. A 9 hour slow cooker sirloin roast with mushrooms sounds like a savory, intensely beefy dish that is well complimented by the flavors of a nice mellow, but flavorful Porter/Stout/Brownish Ale.

Can’t go wrong with Trois Pistoles and beef either.

Canmoore
beers 517 º places 9 º 21:26 Sat 1/11/2014

How about a Les Trois Mousquetaires Porter Baltique 2013?

Other than that, the only quality dark beers that my local LCBO has (excluding macro crap) is:

Founders Porter, Black Oak Nutcracker Porter, Highlander Blacksmith Smoked Porter, Beau’s Milk Stout, Trafalgar Smoked Oatmeal Stout, St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout, Ommegang Game Of Thrones #2 - Take the Black Stout, Russian Gun Imperial Stout, Wellington Imperial Russian Stout, Black Magic Woman Imperial Stout, Founders Breakfast Stout, Spearhead Moroccan Brown Ale, Lake of Bays Vienna Dark Lager, Cameron’s Deviator Doppelbock Bourbon Barrel, Les Trois Mousquetaries Doppelbock, Creemore Springs urBock, and Waterloo Dark.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 08:02 Sun 1/12/2014

Originally posted by Canmoore
How about a Les Trois Mousquetaires Porter Baltique 2013?

Yep, that’ll do.

Canmoore
beers 517 º places 9 º 18:01 Sun 1/12/2014

I ended up using a La Trappe Quad. It turned out amazing! The gravy was something out of this world!! My whole house smells amazing now!

Reid
beers 3528 º places 95 º 19:04 Sun 1/12/2014

Olde Suffolk.