Best cask pubs in London

Reads 3002 • Replies 29 • Started Sunday, September 7, 2014 4:55:03 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

madmitch76
beers 36870 º places 240 º 16:21 Tue 9/9/2014

Mmm I’m going to defend the Cock here. Their cask beers should damn well be in good condition and they usually are these days. Not always mind but for the most part.

If I get a.poor condition cask beer at any branch.of Craft then I usually blame the brewer because I know Tom is fanatical about cellaring.

If I get a poor condition beer at the Hamilton Hall spoons then I am genuinely surprised because they have been far above average for many a long yonk.

BSF at GBBF - fantastic job with the US casks. There are some poor ones but generally of a standard the rest of the bars at GBBF can only.aspire to.

Other than the aforementioned - total lottery.

Harveys? Can that ever be in good condition? Dont those large doses of sulphur inhibit secondary fermentation?

BlackHaddock
beers 15425 º places 1050 º 01:17 Wed 9/10/2014

Thanks for insight everyone. I will be in London soon and have already planned my first drinking day. Cask Ales all the way for me (usually).

My list is for interesting places more than beer quality though and seeing different parts of the capital in between supping.

Old Doctor Butlers Head
Gunmakers
Ye Olde Mitre
Ye Olde Cittie of Yorke
Princess Louise
Euston Tap

I shall also hit Borough on another day.

Royal Oak
Market Porter
and maybe The Rake or The George.

<*))))))><

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40412 º places 1239 º 01:20 Wed 9/10/2014

Originally posted by BlackHaddock
Thanks for insight everyone. I will be in London soon and have already planned my first drinking day. Cask Ales all the way for me (usually).

My list is for interesting places more than beer quality though and seeing different parts of the capital in between supping.

Old Doctor Butlers Head
Gunmakers
Ye Olde Mitre
Ye Olde Cittie of Yorke
Princess Louise
Euston Tap

Royal Oak
Market Porter

<*))))))><

You arriving in a time machine Jeremy?

jjsint
beers 7710 º places 1334 º 04:28 Wed 9/10/2014

Yes, Ye Olde Mitre is normally very good. Forgot about that one.

harrisoni
beers 25350 º places 68 º 05:05 Wed 9/10/2014

Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
Originally posted by BlackHaddock

Old Doctor Butlers Head
Gunmakers
Ye Olde Mitre
Ye Olde Cittie of Yorke
Princess Louise
Euston Tap

Royal Oak
Market Porter

<*))))))><

You arriving in a time machine Jeremy?

4 years ago that was an ok itinerary. I may have done something similar. Now it seems almost perverse in ignoring the new places.
I have been to Market Porter only twice this year. Not very interesting beers in not great condition.
Given all that London has to offer the modern drinker it seems a touch odd.

BlackHaddock
beers 15425 º places 1050 º 06:53 Wed 9/10/2014

I am not a modern drinker though. I am a traditionalist at heart and love visiting old (new to me) pubs. My list includes places that do not open at weekends. I have never been to the first two pubs before, the next three are old friends and the Euston Tap (which I have visited twice before) will be my ticking venue for the day, most likely standing outside reading the place names hopefully in the sun.

The new brew places are not in interesting buildings or own any history yet. I do like the Cask & Kitchen in Pimlico but have had disasters at The Rake and the Clerkenwell Craft place. I am 60 and want a comfortable experience when I have my pint, not have to wait for a standing space at the bar or be ignored when wanting to be served. I also still like to soak up the ambiance of the pub I am in, not look at concrete walls and kitchen staff.

<*))))))><

harrisoni
beers 25350 º places 68 º 08:54 Wed 9/10/2014

As long as you are happy Jeremy thats the main thing.

harrisoni
beers 25350 º places 68 º 14:19 Wed 9/10/2014

Originally posted by madmitch76
Harveys? Can that ever be in good condition? Dont those large doses of sulphur inhibit secondary fermentation?

Wow you really don’t like their house yeasts do you Ken? Shame as you really are missing out on a whole world of enjoyment. Sussex Best Bitter and Dark Star Hophead are still the two beers I would steer any visitors to the UK towards first.

harrisoni
beers 25350 º places 68 º 14:21 Wed 9/10/2014

Originally posted by MagicDave6
Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by evergreen0199
Originally posted by jjsint
Originally posted by jorge76
Wait wait wait !! Is the harp changing hands !!??? Is fuller going to take the harp ??!!!

Unfortunately yes, in order to address the dearth of Fuller’s pubs in London...

They had Fullers ESB on when I called in briefly on Saturday, good to see that Weird Beard is still a regular though.

Was Harveys still on, I heard a rumour that it had been dropped?

Yes its been dropped.

HogTownHarry visited today and said Harveys was still on.

What gives?