Best place to eat food and have great beer emphasis on food

Reads 1114 • Replies 13 • Started Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:47:56 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Chudwick
beers 4909 º places 251 º 07:47 Wed 5/28/2014

Hello all,
I’m going out for dinner this weekend Saturday. I’ve read a lot of the reviews but most of them are not that helpful concerning food. Can you all recommend or suggest some good places to eat that are not super expensive? I would like good food with a good beer selection with the emphasis on the good food. Preferably local beer options. Thanks.
So far I’m thinking Keystone bar and Grill in Clifton, Nicholsons, the eagle, olives, and flip daddies in union

phaleslu
admin
beers 16529 º places 792 º 08:02 Wed 5/28/2014

Keystone is good, but the food is nothing special. Average pub fare focusing on a few certain specialties, like mac & cheese and quesadillas.

The beer quality has gone downhill at Nicholson’s; mostly Euro macro now and a few Sam Adams. I also wasn’t thrilled with the food last time I was there.

The Eagle has a few gems on tap and the food is very good. It’s also not very expensive. Depending on how many people you have, the wait is going to be pretty long, especially on a Saturday.

Olive’s has stepped its game up, for sure, and always has surprises on tap. It’s been under a few different management teams since opening 5-6 years ago, and the current one is the best.

I was not impressed at all by the burgers at Flipdaddy’s. Small and greasy. Sorely overrated. Good beer list, though.

To me, the best overall food/beer crossover off the top of my head is Teller’s in Hyde Park. I haven’t been in a few months but have always liked both menus.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16529 º places 792 º 08:06 Wed 5/28/2014

A few other ideas:

Dilly was always good, but I haven’t eaten/drank there in a year or so. I’m not sure if the beer is as great since Peanut left. Might be, just can’t say.

Incline Public House gets crowded and may have a long wait, but has a quality beer list and good, inexpensive food.

I’ve always liked Arnold’s. Every local brewer is on tap, and usually with something seasonal and interesting, not just flagship beers.

DrSilverworm
beers 11383 º places 123 º 09:53 Wed 5/28/2014

Brew River Gastropub could be worth considering. I haven’t been there in at least a year, but they’ve always prided themselves on their food. The tap selection is respectable, but last time I went the beer prices were outrageous ($8 for a Bear Republic pilsener). I’ve heard that they’ve dialed down the tap prices lately, though.

I haven’t been yet, but there’s a new place in Clifton called Hang Over Easy. I hear their food and tap list is pretty good.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16529 º places 792 º 10:11 Wed 5/28/2014

It’s been at least 6 months since I’ve been to BrewRiver, too, and the prices were still super high - $5-$6 for ’house’ Listermann stuff and $8-$11 for everything else. But a good list. I haven’t eaten there but the food does look good every time I see other people’s plates.

I just passed by Hang Over Easy the other day, and hadn’t heard of it before. It’s on the Corryville (Short Vine) side of campus. The website is under construction, but a FB photo shows these handles: Upland Wheat, KY Bourbon Barrel Ale, Ommegang Rare Vos, PBR, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, Deschutes Black Butte, MadTree Psychopathy, and Palm. Another photo shows easily over 30 taps, maybe 40. Lots of good cans: Oskar Blues, West Sixth, Sierra Nevada, MadTree, Harpoon, 21st Amdendment, Brooklyn, Abita, Jackie-O’s, and others. My wife and I are going to check it out soon and I’ll report back.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16529 º places 792 º 10:15 Wed 5/28/2014

Chudwick
beers 4909 º places 251 º 10:49 Wed 5/28/2014

In hindsight this is pretty important: it’s a date night. In other words, ambiance is fairly important as well, as in no beer pong or karaoke and such... We we don’t go out much and want something special but something that will not break the bank. We are putting way too much thought into this. But suggestions are always welcome.

DrSilverworm
beers 11383 º places 123 º 11:25 Wed 5/28/2014

Originally posted by Chudwick
In hindsight this is pretty important: it’s a date night. In other words, ambiance is fairly important as well, as in no beer pong or karaoke and such... We we don’t go out much and want something special but something that will not break the bank. We are putting way too much thought into this. But suggestions are always welcome.

Dutch’s is the best date spot! Only problem is crowds on a Saturday night may damper the romantic vibe. Going early in the evening is ideal.

Also, no table service.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16529 º places 792 º 11:37 Wed 5/28/2014

Originally posted by Chudwick

Then I’ll stick with my first instinct - Teller’s.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16529 º places 792 º 11:37 Wed 5/28/2014

(And Dutch’s before/after, of course.)

Chudwick
beers 4909 º places 251 º 12:23 Wed 5/28/2014

Thus far, I am strongly leaning towards tellers. That being said, there are three more days to change our minds.