Better in cask?

Reads 2308 • Replies 38 • Started Saturday, July 26, 2014 6:03:47 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

leaparsons
beers 12356 º places 11 º 06:03 Sat 7/26/2014

Just had Portobello VPA and it made me angry (I am tipsy by the way). £2.20 for half a pint of cardboard-dead Beer (in Leicester) . Next beer I had was a superior cask effort. I remember having an incredible cask Brewdog Paradox at Peterborough Fest a few years ago. I should point out that I have had some excellent higher strength keg beers. Question is, would a keg beer normally be better in cask?

wheresthepath
beers 3441 º places 279 º 06:39 Sat 7/26/2014

Yes, yes it would. As long as it’s in perfect condition.

I had Paradox Smokehead and 5am Saint on cask at Reading BF a few years back. Far better than on keg. I’m personally convinced that craft brewers use keg to differentiate themselves from old school brewers and maxmise profit (because keg lasts longer) rather than out of any attempt to serve their beers in the best possible way. Now Brewdog have their own bars and can ensure beer quality I’m surprised they haven’t tried cask again.

Anyway, I’m sure someone else will link to the last 10 threads about this where we all argued at length in favour of our own heavily entrenched views.

Anth

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 06:46 Sat 7/26/2014

I think each method has its pros and cons but generally prefer cask.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 07:01 Sat 7/26/2014

Better sparkled or not?

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 07:05 Sat 7/26/2014

Tempting. Have I banned myself from dispense method discussions yet or is that just beer styles. I forget. On a mobile phone at mo so will answer more fully once I get home. But just as a quickie I’d rather have Thornbridge Tzara on keykeg than cask. Which is the exception that proves the rule that I’d rather have cask. It depends on where the balance lies
Say keykeg gives you a beer over a week at 85% of optimum condition and flavour. What % of optimum cask would you require to outrank the keykeg? For what a day or two?
The Oakham JHB I had on my birthday on Tuesday could only be that good if it was on cask. But then Oakham condition their beer brilliantly.
For once I am completely open to other opinions

No not really, only joking

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 07:41 Sat 7/26/2014

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Better sparkled or not?

Definitely no sparkler on a cask beer. You know that Nick.

wheresthepath
beers 3441 º places 279 º 07:51 Sat 7/26/2014

Sparklers are for 5th of November only.

Or possibly for Yorkshire Republicans to try to hide the taste of their poorer beers...

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 07:57 Sat 7/26/2014

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Better sparkled or not?
it’s grim up north. They need their little novelty sparkler

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 08:06 Sat 7/26/2014

Originally posted by harrisoni
Say keykeg gives you a beer over a week at 85% of optimum condition and flavour. What % of optimum cask would you require to outrank the keykeg? For what a day or two?

This is a good point. Although negated for places that know how to look after their cask beer properly and can turn it over quickly enough to ensure that it is in perfect shape.

leaparsons
beers 12356 º places 11 º 08:11 Sat 7/26/2014

It’s more the £££ difference I don’t understand. Can keg just be a get-out for poor/lazy cellarmanship? Despite my argument just been to The Offie for some bottled beers!

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 08:16 Sat 7/26/2014

Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by harrisoni

This is a good point. Although negated for places that know how to look after their cask beer properly and can turn it over quickly enough to ensure that it is in perfect shape.

This is a good point. Although negated for places that buy beer from distributors that don’t look after their beer properly and so the cellarman can do their best but may still end up with a less than optimum cask.

By the way having Chriso say that I have made a good point makes my heart swell with proud. It’s like getting positive affirmation from my father. Not that I ever did. And Chriso isn’t my father and this isn’t my psychotherapy session.