RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Big Beer Dresses up in Craft Brewersí Clothing

read 2964 times • 19 replies • posted 11/15/2012 3:46:26 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

beachbum25 1085:69
Interesting story on the topic, saw it on Twitter in links posted by Greg Koch & Dogfish Head Brewery:

Private message Send the author a private message

premium
theisti 3276:536
Nice article.
11/15/2012 6:00:58 PM

Private message send the author a private message

Makes me think about all the times Iíve told soemone Iím into Craft Beer & they tell me how much they like good neer like Blue Moon, Shock Top, Stella, Heineken, etc...

Sometimes itís all I can do not to slap them!
11/15/2012 7:32:58 PM

premium
admin
joet 2207:91
Discussed in Greg Hall thread... I think business politics aside, there is a path for big corporations to putting out good beer. It can happen.

Garrett Oliverís comment this morning on this was that craft should just keep doing what theyíre doing. Craft is winning. No need to complain about that.
11/16/2012 8:05:10 AM

kryptic
Originally posted by joet
Discussed in Greg Hall thread... I think business politics aside, there is a path for big corporations to putting out good beer.

While they are certainly capable of it, I think it would be sort of pointless for them. I mean, with the success of craft beer selling for the prices it does and has during a recession, BMC has already seen that and decided to jack their prices through the roof in response. You canít even find a sixer of most BMC for under $6 any more. If they came out with some "craft" type stuff, they would almost certainly charge the same as regular craft beer at this point, defeating the entire purpose of even buying it in my mind.
11/16/2012 8:14:03 AM

Discussed in Greg Hall thread... I think business politics aside, there is a path for big corporations to putting out good beer. It can happen.

Garrett Oliverís comment this morning on this was that craft should just keep doing what theyíre doing. Craft is winning. No need to complain about that.

Iím not against big brewers making good beer, Iím all for that. Yes it can happen, althought it doesnít very often. Just donít try & pass it off as craft beer or pass yourself off as craft brewer. Donít hide who makes it, if you make it, you need to be willing to put your name on it.
11/16/2012 1:57:56 PM

Trooper 8:
Originally posted by beachbum25

Iím not against big brewers making good beer, Iím all for that. Yes it can happen, althought it doesnít very often. Just donít try & pass it off as craft beer or pass yourself off as craft brewer. Donít hide who makes it, if you make it, you need to be willing to put your name on it.

And that beer geeks and snobs is the point, put your name on it, let is say by InBev or who ever, I drink craft beer because it is better for you, taste better and is A Craft, not another mass production, " if you drink me you will meet skinny models " beer.
Has craft won? Well they are now the largest American owned breweries, Samuel Adams, Sierra Nevada etc. that should make all of us geeks and snobs so proud,
Cheers
12/3/2012 8:25:04 AM

Trooper 8:
Makes me think about all the times Iíve told soemone Iím into Craft Beer & they tell me how much they like good neer like Blue Moon, Shock Top, Stella, Heineken, etc...

seriously, do some research people!!! I hear this all the time and think to my self why. Then I give my five minute that is not craft beer speech. Some walk away but a few ask " then what should I drink? " this of course leads to another speech.
12/3/2012 8:28:20 AM

premium
GT2 8683:613
I cannot imagine how terrible it would be for craft brewers if InBev decided they would start making a real beer and buying the entire hop harvest of the world at discount leaving the remainder to be unaffordably high.
12/3/2012 8:49:59 AM

premium
admin
Oakes 12777:670
Originally posted by Trooper

seriously, do some research people!!! I hear this all the time and think to my self why. Then I give my five minute that is not craft beer speech. Some walk away but a few ask " then what should I drink? " this of course leads to another speech.

To be fair, most consumers arenít especially interested in the craft/non-craft delineation. Thatís a someone artificial and arbitrary line that the craft beer community draws.

And if people donít care that much, they are going to take their cues from a lot of sources, including beer menus that describe those things as "craft" and marketing programs that serve to blur the line a bit.

Adding your voice as another source of information is necessary to make sure that people get the full perspective.
12/3/2012 9:10:12 AM

robrules 1
Big brewers have been trying to stop/slow down craft since the days of sam adams and yet craft beer keeps getting more and more successful, donít know why people are all of a sudden getting scared. Those who have been around before there were craft beers widely avaialable in the US knows that full flavored beer is winning. Once people get a taste for it theres no going back to the way things were in the 70ís & 80ís - no matter the tactics used by big brewers for the last 30 years and into the future, there will always be demand for full flavored beer, therefore there will always be suppliers of it.

As long as brewers are confident in their relationships they have built over the years with consumers, suppliers, retailers and distributors, they should have no problem competing against the big guys who are now into craft.

12/6/2012 7:25:22 AM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers