Big Beer Dresses up in Craft Brewers’ Clothing

Reads 4102 • Replies 19 • Started Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:46:26 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 07:59 Mon 1/14/2013

I also think a lot of the stuff like "Batch 19" and so on is aimed specifically at women who are making up more of the market. I’m a girl so I shop like a girl. I like interesting labels and pretty bottles. What saved me from mediocrity is that I like corked bottles. Big marketers are counting on what you don’t know. They’re also counting on the power of association. Batch 19’s label reminds one of bourbon does it not?

Indra
beers 2711 º places 78 º 08:56 Mon 1/14/2013

Milli Vanilli?

PhillyBeer2112
beers 3498 º places 102 º 10:27 Mon 1/14/2013

Originally posted by pinkie
I also think a lot of the stuff like "Batch 19" and so on is aimed specifically at women who are making up more of the market. I’m a girl so I shop like a girl. I like interesting labels and pretty bottles. What saved me from mediocrity is that I like corked bottles. Big marketers are counting on what you don’t know. They’re also counting on the power of association. Batch 19’s label reminds one of bourbon does it not?

Batch numbers are female oriented marketing?

Sorry don’t get it. Its aimed at the .rar crowd. If you think something is produced in small batches, enough attention to detail that you can number each batch, and in small quantities, then it becomes unobtainium and you want it and will spend more for it.
And especially because not everyone in the .rar crowd is a knowledgeable geek.

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 10:50 Mon 1/14/2013

No. It’s the design of the carton. White letters on black background. T o the eye it’s simple, and it has the implications you mentioned. It actually resembles the bourbon whiskey label for Jack Daniels. If you can put 2 and 2 together you could be in advertising. "Bourbon aged, bourbon barrel" a little loose talk and some eye catching familiarity leads to impulse sales at the price point.

My favoirte logo for beer is Harpoon’s UFO design. Simple - not a lot of colors. Says nothing about the beer. =) Most unfirendly is Vicotry Beer. I LOVE the beer don’t get me wrong but the labels are busy - too colorful and not that attractive.

MannyGoldberg
beers 208 º places 31 º 13:07 Fri 2/1/2013

Through a long history of acquisitions Diageo has ended up producing loads of great whisky. No reason Big Beer can't go the same way.

---Posted via Beer Buddy for iPhone

JK
beers 7296 º places 442 º 14:22 Fri 2/1/2013

Originally posted by beachbum25
Makes me think about all the times I’ve told soemone I’m into Craft Beer & they tell me how much they like good neer like Blue Moon, Shock Top, Stella, Heineken, etc...

Sometimes it’s all I can do not to slap them!

Those are the folks you can convert.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 23:59 Fri 2/1/2013

What were the AB attack ads in ’96?

beachbum25
beers 1093 º places 81 º 07:16 Sat 2/2/2013

Originally posted by JK
Originally posted by beachbum25
Makes me think about all the times I’ve told soemone I’m into Craft Beer & they tell me how much they like good neer like Blue Moon, Shock Top, Stella, Heineken, etc...

Sometimes it’s all I can do not to slap them!

Those are the folks you can convert.

I have converted some; these can be "transition" beers to get people started. Some listen, some don’t.

BrewtopiaofPJ
beers 67 º places 4 º 11:35 Sun 5/12/2013

"Craft Beer" in advertising means the same as "Tastes Great", but hey, it took one crafty person to create a bottle of beer for a nickle.