RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Food and Beer | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Black Forest Ham (The Real Stuff)

read 2991 times • 18 replies • posted 10/19/2012 11:28:59 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

blutt59 6004:152
Germandeli.com , here in Dallas imports a lot of smoked meats, unfortunately we canít get schlenkerla smoked beers here
11/1/2012 2:07:11 AM

Private message send the author a private message

McWorta 571:106
Originally posted by blutt59
Germandeli.com , here in Dallas imports a lot of smoked meats, unfortunately we canít get schlenkerla smoked beers here

Another reason to visit europe...
11/5/2012 4:37:30 AM

flabeer 2
If youíre ever in the Tampa area, Mr. Dunderbakís has a small deli section with plenty of the real stuff from Europe. Also (arguably) the best beer bar in the area.
11/5/2012 5:36:52 AM

adwalton53 1:4
iím lucky living in england. we have a massive selection of hams and sausage from all over mainland europe. i enjoy my german sausage especialy nurnemberg with bavarian weizen a great pairing
also i live in bradford in the north and we have a lot of kashmiri and indian cuisine which goes well with well hopped pale ales and ipas. beer and food i love it
4/9/2013 1:54:35 PM

CharmCityCrab 149:
Whatís the difference between black forest ham and regular ham?

Subway switched the name of itís ham from just ham to black forest ham at some point, and it tastes like the same exact thing (turkey processed to taste somewhat like ham, which is what it is :)). I assume thatís like when some brewers label something an IPA and it doesnít even taste remotely like the real thing, though. Whatís the real black forest ham taste like?
4/9/2013 8:01:34 PM

premium
Nightfall 1307:39
Whatís the real black forest ham taste like?

It is cured porc thigh. Pretty much like prosciutto or serrano. However it is heavily (and uniquely spiced) during the curing process (with many spices, juniper berries, and other stuff) giving it a very distinct aroma. While prosciutto for example has a mild fragrant aroma of the porc, b.forest ham has this rustic spicy aroma, in the taste however the porc and spices are very balanced.
In Europe the name is protected , unfortunately in the states,Canada,etc you can pretty much call any similar crap , b.forest so I would suggest trying to find an imported one.

Cheers,

Alex
4/10/2013 12:01:40 AM

premium
AdamJackson 2523:186
Subway - Eat Fresh.
4/10/2013 6:44:38 AM

pinkie 460:10
=) A good ham is such a treat.
4/10/2013 9:23:59 AM