Blind Gueuze Tasting

Reads 4891 • Replies 50 • Started Monday, January 25, 2016 8:54:22 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 07:16 Tue 1/26/2016

Originally posted by AdamChandler
Originally posted by VsXsV
This, once again, makes my kick myself for trading all of my OGV 2007. Had 3 cases of it, not a single one left.

Zero sympathy. Assuming you traded for American beers, no "barrel aged chocolate truffle imperial stout" of this month that everyone is ISO is worth trading away Gueuze. Acidic vinegar American Wild Ales will come and go....lambic is forever.

Thanks for the very insightful post, Adam. Had I seen this three years ago it might’ve been helpful. And a lot of it was honestly traded for HF stuff, which you seem to like.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 07:18 Tue 1/26/2016

This, once again, makes my kick myself for trading all of my OGV 2007. Had 3 cases of it, not a single one left.

Zero sympathy. Assuming you traded for American beers, no "barrel aged chocolate truffle imperial stout" of this month that everyone is ISO is worth trading away Gueuze. Acidic vinegar American Wild Ales will come and go....lambic is forever.

Thanks for the very insightful post, Adam. Had I seen this three years ago it might’ve been helpful. And a lot of it was honestly traded for HF stuff, which you seem to like.

I like Hill Farmstead beer but if I wasn’t local, I wouldn’t trade for it. Sending out 2-3 brewery release beers for a bottle of Flora. Sheesh.

If you honesty loved most of the beer you traded for, that’s great. Most of what I trade for isn’t that great so I just stopped.

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 07:21 Tue 1/26/2016

I like Hill Farmstead beer but if I wasn’t local, I wouldn’t trade for it. Sending out 2-3 brewery release beers for a bottle of Flora. Sheesh.

If you honesty loved most of the beer you traded for, that’s great. Most of what I trade for isn’t that great so I just stopped.

Brewery release? I could order it by the bottle to my local bottle shop. At maybe $20 a pop. Trading it wasn’t the stupid part; trading all of it was.

b3shine
beers 12183 º places 372 º 07:50 Tue 1/26/2016

I agree with your message, but your delivery is less than tactful. Besides, not everyone feels the same way we do about lambic, and there’s no way to definitively know what a newly bottled lambic will evolve into anyway.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 08:17 Tue 1/26/2016

Originally posted by Leighton
Great thread. I’ve really enjoyed reading about the outcome, and your additional comments.

Agreed. Excellent read.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 08:53 Tue 1/26/2016

Originally posted by b3shine

I agree with your message, but your delivery is less than tactful. Besides, not everyone feels the same way we do about lambic, and there’s no way to definitively know what a newly bottled lambic will evolve into anyway.

You’re right but I’ve met VsXsV before and I know a lot of Europeans who feel the same way or are slowly getting to a point. Once you’ve traded for every hyped imperial stout, there’s a little sadness about all of the great beer you gave up just to tick. I feel the same way some times.

ClarkVV
beers 13401 º places 111 º 09:11 Tue 1/26/2016

Too bad the timmermans was crap. Thats surprising. I think the last big blind gueuze tasting that was posted here, that one had been right near the top.

Not surprised about cuvee rene. Had a fairly recent vintage the other day and it was all green apple/acetyldehyde. Maybe it just takes like 10 years for that one to mature?

I dont think the results necessarily mean cantillon is overrated. The ’13 did well and regular cantillon gueuze has always been pretty polarizing due to its woody, acidic character(though i havent had very recent years).

3F is just good, balanced stuff. Cant argue with that

errantnight
14:14 Tue 1/26/2016

Originally posted by ClarkVV
Too bad the timmermans was crap. Thats surprising. I think the last big blind gueuze tasting that was posted here, that one had been right near the top.

Not surprised about cuvee rene. Had a fairly recent vintage the other day and it was all green apple/acetyldehyde. Maybe it just takes like 10 years for that one to mature?

I dont think the results necessarily mean cantillon is overrated. The ’13 did well and regular cantillon gueuze has always been pretty polarizing due to its woody, acidic character(though i havent had very recent years).

3F is just good, balanced stuff. Cant argue with that

Yeah, "overrated" is problematic. I guess it was a comment in response to my feeling like a large number of people think that it is clearly The Best Gueuze but that’s based more upon availability, and hardly necessarily specifically indicative of the general opinion on Cantillon. I love Cantillon lambics, they’re just not necessarily my absolute favorite.

I’ve been having bad experiences of late fairly regularly with Timmermans and Cuvee Renee, both of which I formerly held in much higher esteem, and would love to have some more good bottles to restore that opinion!

errantnight
14:15 Tue 1/26/2016

Originally posted by adnielsen
i’d be curious to see where Allagash Coolship Resurgam would have landed.

Me too. This tasting came together fairly quickly but it was on my list of beers to try to acquire for this tasting when I was thinking we’d have more time to pull it together. My memory of the one time I had this beer has me very interested in slipping it in to another of these, one day.

errantnight
14:15 Tue 1/26/2016

Originally posted by fly
Originally posted by Leighton
Great thread. I’ve really enjoyed reading about the outcome, and your additional comments.

Agreed. Excellent read.

thanks, guys