Blind pilsner tasting

Reads 3147 • Replies 38 • Started Saturday, January 23, 2016 11:10:41 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

tennisjoel
beers 2219 º places 53 º 11:06 Mon 1/25/2016

I’m unclear on whether you did this tasting alone or with others? You mention how you liked them a few times. But you also say "We" did a tasting. If multiple people, how many people did you have at the tasting? Just curious.

poisoneddwarf
beers 5549 º places 26 º 11:56 Mon 1/25/2016

Originally posted by tennisjoel
I’m unclear on whether you did this tasting alone or with others? You mention how you liked them a few times. But you also say "We" did a tasting. If multiple people, how many people did you have at the tasting? Just curious.

Just my brother and I with my wife doing the pouring.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 12:20 Mon 1/25/2016

Originally posted by poisoneddwarf
Originally posted by tennisjoel

Just my brother and I with my wife doing the pouring.

Sounds good and enjoy reading the results. Would also be nice to see how things turned out with at least a somewhat larger group.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 13:15 Mon 1/25/2016

Originally posted by spacecoyote
No Jever?

Nope. No Jever. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in my area. Is it better than stuff like Bitburger and Konig?

It’s different, and definitely more bitter than Bitburger and Konig.

Nowhere near as bitter as it once was though.

Originally posted by KyotoLefty
Very cool tasting, though not really fair to the European bottles.
I am very surprised at the Full Sail. Got to try one of those. Also shocked at the low Urquel score. That must have been badly off.

Now you got me thinking about doing one of these myself, though unlike sour or stout or quad tastings, the timing will be a pain in the ass, if you try to get all fresh beers.
If I had to guess (since I’ve only had a handful of the beers in the tasting, and obviously I wasn’t there) I’d say that Urquell was punished for either a) Not being so fresh, or b) having a fuller malt character than many of the American and German examples.

I think the American idea of Pils is very much the German style of the beer (broadly speaking). Also, we are talking a two person tasting here... not a very big sample to base much on; no offense intended towards the OP.

David_Deas
beers 15 º 20:29 Sat 1/30/2016

Full Sail Cascade
Pfriem
Great Divide Nomad
Deschutes Pine Mountain
Firestone Walker Pivo
Sierra Nevada Nooner
Hale’s Bill’sner
New Belgium Blue Paddle
Oskar Blues Mama’s Little Yella Pils
Konig
Victory Prima
Bitburger
North Coast Scrimshaw
Lagunitas Pils
Bayern Pilsner
Pilsner Urquell
Miller Lite
Star Trek Orion

As someone mentioned, freshness was a big factor. Victory should’ve been near the top. I’ve had it fresh and it’s awesome, but this bottle was past its prime. A few of the others were expired, as well. I guess we don’t really care for Czech pilsners. I thought they would do better.

Why would you blind taste test skunked pilsners?

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 09:03 Sun 1/31/2016

Originally posted by chriso
No Jever?

Nope. No Jever. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in my area. Is it better than stuff like Bitburger and Konig?

It’s different, and definitely more bitter than Bitburger and Konig.

Nowhere near as bitter as it once was though.

Nowhere near as *hoppy* as it once was, a decade or so back, but it’s still quite bitter.

poisoneddwarf
beers 5549 º places 26 º 16:21 Sun 1/31/2016

Originally posted by David_Deas
Full Sail Cascade
Pfriem
Great Divide Nomad
Deschutes Pine Mountain
Firestone Walker Pivo
Sierra Nevada Nooner
Hale’s Bill’sner
New Belgium Blue Paddle
Oskar Blues Mama’s Little Yella Pils
Konig
Victory Prima
Bitburger
North Coast Scrimshaw
Lagunitas Pils
Bayern Pilsner
Pilsner Urquell
Miller Lite
Star Trek Orion

As someone mentioned, freshness was a big factor. Victory should’ve been near the top. I’ve had it fresh and it’s awesome, but this bottle was past its prime. A few of the others were expired, as well. I guess we don’t really care for Czech pilsners. I thought they would do better.

Why would you blind taste test skunked pilsners?

Wow, this is a thread that just won’t die. What made you think they were skunked? There were a few that were past their prime, but the majority were in date. All the European ones were in date, but as we’ve already established, Urquell that comes into the states, no matter what the date code might say, isn’t very interesting compared to what you can get at the brewery. I don’t have personal experience with this, as I’ve never been to the Czech Republic, but others who have say it’s much better straight from the source, and I tend to believe them.