Bottle list at Grote Dorst

Reads 3086 • Replies 30 • Started Saturday, September 10, 2016 3:47:29 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

digita7693
beers 1 º places 7 º 01:21 Mon 9/12/2016

Adam pretty much nailed it!
Grote Dorst is such a cool experience I am happy just drinking draft whatever there and a bottle of anything:)

If you just want whales go to dhvl, but the atmosphere, people, and drinking great beer w some cheese is hard to beat at Grote Dorst!

Dunt
beers 321 º 14:59 Mon 9/12/2016

Originally posted by AdamChandler
Here’s how you do Grote Dorst:

Arrive 5 minutes before open
Come in, grab a seat at a table built for your group size
Be friendly, don’t be a weirdo
Ask what Lambiek is available on tap
Order a glass of every lambiek available (1-3 euro a glass)
Drink them
Order some cheese while you glance at the menu
Get a bottle of an older non-whale bottle to split with your friends
An hour in, order 2-3 nicer bottles "if available" and if one is sold out, don’t act like a dick and say "someone checked into that bottle on Untappd last week."
Enjoy the beer they serve you
Bring dirty glasses back to the bar before you leave.
Come back next year and repeat.

---

DHVL is very expensive if you want to drink whales. A meat-loaf made with Orval with some Frites and an 8 year Orval or Rodenbach Grand Cru is a perfect way to spend the afternoon.

If you see Uli at Grote dorst, be nice, invite him to sit and share some beers with him. He has some great stories.

This post is pretty condescending in tone. You really think people need you to tell them how to act like a civilized adult at a bar? Get over yourself.

errantnight
15:32 Mon 9/12/2016

Originally posted by Dunt

Drink them
An hour in, order 2-3 nicer bottles "if available" and if one is sold out, don’t act like a dick and say "someone checked into that bottle on Untappd last week."

---

DHVL is very expensive if you want to drink whales. A meat-loaf made with Orval with some Frites and an 8 year Orval or Rodenbach Grand Cru is a perfect way to spend the afternoon.

If you see Uli at Grote dorst, be nice, invite him to sit and share some beers with him. He has some great stories.

This post is pretty condescending in tone. You really think people need you to tell them how to act like a civilized adult at a bar? Get over yourself.

Many people do, yes.

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4582 º 15:54 Mon 9/12/2016

Originally posted by errantnight
Originally posted by Dunt

Drink them

---

Many people do, yes.

Agree. I like Adam’s post a lot. A lot.

b3shine
beers 12183 º places 372 º 16:15 Mon 9/12/2016

I don’t think AChan was trying to be condescending, but I think it’s ridiculous that there are such unwritten rules in place. If I choose to go to an establishment, I expect to be treated well as long as I’m not being a dick. I don’t expect to have to buy a bunch of shit I don’t want and get drunk in order to be treated well or see some special list that is probably overpriced to begin with. I get that lambic culture is more "distinguished," but at the end of the day it’s still fucking beer. There’s a reason I’m not as into wine as I am beer, and it’s not because I don’t enjoy wine just as much. Bunch of pretentous bullshit.

Rasmus40
beers 34334 º places 722 º 03:25 Tue 9/13/2016

Originally posted by b3shine
I don’t think AChan was trying to be condescending, but I think it’s ridiculous that there are such unwritten rules in place. If I choose to go to an establishment, I expect to be treated well as long as I’m not being a dick. I don’t expect to have to buy a bunch of shit I don’t want and get drunk in order to be treated well or see some special list that is probably overpriced to begin with. I get that lambic culture is more "distinguished," but at the end of the day it’s still fucking beer. There’s a reason I’m not as into wine as I am beer, and it’s not because I don’t enjoy wine just as much. Bunch of pretentous bullshit.

I have been to Grote Dorst twice and enjoyed both visits a lot. It’s a great and relaxed place, although last time there was an American party, that sounded pretty much like they were doing everything that Adam was telling you not to do

There’s no need to buy anything you don’t want, but it makes perfect sense to try the lambics on tap while you sit down, relax, and browse the bottle menu instead of walking in and asking for some whale. And being polite is always a good thing in lambic bars, normal bars, and elsewhere in life.

konstifik
beers 573 º places 37 º 04:08 Tue 9/13/2016

I took Adams post as some good tips on how to enjoy your visit to Grote Dorst rather than the unwritten rules you need to follow to be treated well. Having been there myself, I agree with his tips. Start off with some unblended lambic, get some cheese and start looking at the menu.

IMO, trying to get the most sought after beer only is what is pretentious bullshit and what is turning the beer world more and more towards the attitude in the wine world.

fatknitty
18:47 Tue 9/13/2016

I always have a blast at Grote Dorst: https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=44048128%40N00&view_all=1&text=dorst

That stew at DHVL though: https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7676/17358312056_4158aefd32_b.jpg

I just want to have that Turtleback Geuze No. 1 again. I’m jealous and wonder how you got a bottle.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 02:50 Wed 9/14/2016

If I choose to go to an establishment, I expect to be treated well as long as I’m not being a dick. ... Bunch of pretentous bullshit.

It’s not pretentious to understand the context and behave accordingly. Culture varies everywhere you go. "Not being a dick" is a good way to put it. A lot of tourists come in and act like dicks. You do not have a right to anything in their cellar.

Grote Dorst is a café but it’s also a museum of sorts, devoted to the preservation of local lambic culture. It’s at least as much about atmosphere as it is the beer. The place is not meant to provide wales to ticking foreigners for whom price is no object, and who seem to miss the point entirely.

Adam’s post is good not because these are "unwritten rules" -- different cultures are full of those, by the way -- but because it’s just sound advice.

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4582 º 06:56 Wed 9/14/2016

^^^ well said