RateBeer

Bourbon County Stout: "soon available all the time"

read 1509 times • 19 replies •

Thread Frozen

seymour
beers 1684 º places 45 º 15:06 Tue 7/17/2012

Maybe itís old news but I read it for the first time in this July 5 newspaper blog: http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/dining/bars-and-clubs-other/hip-hops/will-a-b-inbev-make-corona-a-better-beer/article_1e88df94-c465-11e1-ae0a-001a4bcf6878.html

What does everyone think? Will increased supply change the demand and "rarity" mystique? If Bourbon County Stout starts showing up on shelves everywhere year-round, and if nothing about the recipe changes, will the ratings nonetheless decline?

TheAlum
premium
beers 6373 º places 10 º 15:07 Tue 7/17/2012

It gained itís lofty rating when it was sitting on shelves available practically all year anyways..

fletche00
16:40 Tue 7/17/2012

I remember when they said Dark Lord would be more plentiful, but I still only got 4 bottles. Now, I am not complaining, but they also sold Baller Stout at the anniversary party at $50 and said nobody would see it again, sure enough it resurfaced at DLD for $35 a pop.....go figure.

This is a rarity, and considering they have had Wheat Whiskey BC on the Goose Island page since December, and nobody knows any more info on it, makes me think it wont be year-round. My 2 cents

drfabulous
premium
beers 4917 º places 99 º 16:43 Tue 7/17/2012

It was only maybe three years or so ago that I could get Bourbon County Stout just about anytime off the shelf. If it comes back as a regular offering, great.

b3shine
premium
beers 6761 º places 293 º 16:46 Tue 7/17/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum
It gained itís lofty rating when it was sitting on shelves available practically all year anyways..

This. And Iíd be (fat and) happy to have it year-round!

JMerritt
premium
beers 1894 º places 72 º 16:48 Tue 7/17/2012

There are lots of highly rated beers that are available year round. Rarity and high score may be correlated, but one doesnít cause the other.

seymour
beers 1684 º places 45 º 16:52 Tue 7/17/2012

Originally posted by fletche00
I remember when they said Dark Lord would be more plentiful, but I still only got 4 bottles...

Yeah, I see your point. Who knows if theyíll follow-through? But one major difference is that Dark Lord isnít 100% owned and distributed by Anheuser-Busch/InBev. If they really wanted to, they could probably put Bourbon County in every grocery store end cap, gas station cooler, strip mall liquor store, restaurant draft lineup, etc, they felt like. Thatís silly of course, and would almost certainly tarnish its reputation.

LostHops287
beers 18 º 16:56 Tue 7/17/2012

In my own words it will have the same Rarity as Parabola amazing beer but trade value zilch!

portableparty
premium
beers 2098 º places 19 º 17:58 Tue 7/17/2012

Just the choice of buying a 4 pack today or next week would be lovely! And not am I going to luck out and get one!

fletche00
05:16 Wed 7/18/2012

Originally posted by seymour
Originally posted by fletche00
I remember when they said Dark Lord would be more plentiful, but I still only got 4 bottles...

Yeah, I see your point. Who knows if theyíll follow-through? But one major difference is that Dark Lord isnít 100% owned and distributed by Anheuser-Busch/InBev. If they really wanted to, they could probably put Bourbon County in every grocery store end cap, gas station cooler, strip mall liquor store, restaurant draft lineup, etc, they felt like. Thatís silly of course, and would almost certainly tarnish its reputation.

Who gets Goose Island stuff is strictly based on numbers of product purchased. If store A purchases Goose Island every week, while Store B Purchases it every 2 months, Store A gets dibs on BCS, and goose island determines that, not the distributor. Its why you only saw BC Coffee, Brambles, and King Henrys on premise as oppose to Liquor stores. Bars were going through more volume of goose island (Kegs) then say stores (6 pks/12 pks), so those bars got favored for all special products. Hopefully this year around business will make it so everybody gets as much as they want, and politics doesnt play a hand in it.

drfabulous
premium
beers 4917 º places 99 º 05:19 Wed 7/18/2012

so those bars got favored for all special products. Hopefully this year around business will make it so everybody gets as much as they want, and politics doesnt play a hand in it.

That was true here with King Henry. No retail distribution. All to bars and restaurants. That means mark up in price, of course, but it also means some people who donít do the bar scene have no chance of trying the beer.