Brew Dog expensive and noisy ...

Reads 11880 • Replies 158 • Started Saturday, January 17, 2015 4:08:17 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

anon84892
beers 3284 º places 21 º 10:29 Sat 1/17/2015

Originally posted by McNeillR
I thought this was in response to the Pricey guy’s review (and his subsequent LOL contribution with "carat beef clarkenwell").

The Edinburgh one has only ever got two or three actual Guesties on these days and they can quite often be stuff we can get locally (BBNO, Alechemy, Fyne, Buxton, Magic Rock) anyway with the others being Brooklyn, Weihen, Stone...

I guess five years ago I’d be drooling over the prospect, but a lot of this stuff is the same beers all the time and it makes the prospect of a decent Mikkeller sour or lower key US breweries they tap into even less frequent or expected.

Glasgow seems to be a lot better at putting most of this kind of stuff on, Elysian and Gigantic tap takeovers whilst Edinburgh drip them out one at a time.

ANYWAY. My point is that there is a lot of choice, it’s just that for variety and new beers you’re not getting where else if you can’t be arsed taking a punt on their over-priced bottle list then you’re not going to have much luck.

I’ve found the Edinburgh bar to be much better over the past 6-12 months. They’ve typically had 6 guest lines on when I’ve been in with only 1 or 2 of them being British beer, not that British beer is an issue and 8-10 of their own lines. I went in December on a random night and the guest list had Speedway, Hel en Verdomenis, some BA imperial stout from Mikkeller (cognac black hole I think) and 3 other high end beers that I can’t remember. No other pub in Edinburgh would ever have that line up on for a standard nothing special school night especially when you factor in their own lines which imo have been pretty good lately.

The staff in general across all bars i visit seem better trained and less ’dogwashed’, they seem to have a bit more freedom to do what they want bar to bar and will give their own honest opinion instead of ’everything is awesome’.

I like the bar in Edinburgh but it doesn’t quite cater for the ticker market which probably accounts for most of the people reading this. I always visit at least one of the London bars when I’m down, Sheps Bush is defo a tickers bar, always have a few new beers on when I visit.

I think the bottle selection in BD bars is excellent while stocks last. It went through a bad patch a couple of years ago but they’ve secured some pretty spectacular bottles in the past year. I think the prices in all bars (and online) are reasonable too. A lot of the bottles they get are more expensive when found elsewhere in this country, if found.

So aye, basically I’m a fan of Brewdog bars

pricey290483
beers 875 º places 59 º 10:32 Sat 1/17/2015

I do like a brew dog bar been to a few of them now and have never had a bad experience always a great selection of beers

pricey290483
beers 875 º places 59 º 10:34 Sat 1/17/2015

I thought this was in response to the Pricey guy’s review (and his subsequent LOL contribution with "carat beef clarkenwell").

The Edinburgh one has only ever got two or three actual Guesties on these days and they can quite often be stuff we can get locally (BBNO, Alechemy, Fyne, Buxton, Magic Rock) anyway with the others being Brooklyn, Weihen, Stone...

I guess five years ago I’d be drooling over the prospect, but a lot of this stuff is the same beers all the time and it makes the prospect of a decent Mikkeller sour or lower key US breweries they tap into even less frequent or expected.

Glasgow seems to be a lot better at putting most of this kind of stuff on, Elysian and Gigantic tap takeovers whilst Edinburgh drip them out one at a time.

ANYWAY. My point is that there is a lot of choice, it’s just that for variety and new beers you’re not getting where else if you can’t be arsed taking a punt on their over-priced bottle list then you’re not going to have much luck.

What was up with my review?

Mjp12
beers 2215 º places 102 º 10:52 Sat 1/17/2015

Brewdog bars I think should not be seen as a substitute for a traditional bar, they are a place to go for an hour or so, just to try a couple of beers . They are getting a good variety of guests, and some decent bottles, but for tickers, the brewdog own brew list is probably not the key pulling point.

SilkTork
beers 7737 º places 111 º 15:15 Sat 1/17/2015

Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Originally posted by Theydon_Bois

I cant understand why someone would give a BD bar a shiddy 8/15 for selection then give their local tied house 15/15.

but if your local tied house has 3 beers you like and brewdog 10 you dont then your local tied house has a way better selection

That was my thinking when I starting reading this. I think Theydon_Bois has quite missed the point of the reviews being subjective. It’s like a vegetarian going into a French restaurant and discovering that everything on the menu contains meat. Selection = 0 if you can’t eat anything. Or going into a brothel and finding that all the girls are ladyboys or grannies. They may have hundreds of the bastards, but I aint going fuck them. Selection = 0

Having lots and lots of beer you don’t like and nothing or little you do like means the section is shit.

Rate the fucking place as you see it. The selection is shit, score it shit. Job done.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 15:18 Sat 1/17/2015

Originally posted by pricey290483

What was up with my review?

I assume he is talking about someone else, there is nothing wrong with your reviews.

anon84892
beers 3284 º places 21 º 15:32 Sat 1/17/2015

Originally posted by SilkTork
Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Originally posted by Theydon_Bois

I cant understand why someone would give a BD bar a shiddy 8/15 for selection then give their local tied house 15/15.

but if your local tied house has 3 beers you like and brewdog 10 you dont then your local tied house has a way better selection

That was my thinking when I starting reading this. I think Theydon_Bois has quite missed the point of the reviews being subjective. It’s like a vegetarian going into a French restaurant and discovering that everything on the menu contains meat. Selection = 0 if you can’t eat anything. Or going into a brothel and finding that all the girls are ladyboys or grannies. They may have hundreds of the bastards, but I aint going fuck them. Selection = 0

Having lots and lots of beer you don’t like and nothing or little you do like means the section is shit.

Rate the fucking place as you see it. The selection is shit, score it shit. Job done.

Ladyboys and grannies are like BA imperial stouts and lambic. An acquired taste but you won’t look back.

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 15:36 Sat 1/17/2015

i like everything Brewdog

cgarvieuk
beers 37557 º places 457 º 15:46 Sat 1/17/2015

Originally posted by SilkTork
Or going into a brothel and finding that all the girls are ladyboys or grannies.

cgarvieuk
beers 37557 º places 457 º 15:48 Sat 1/17/2015

Originally posted by BenH

Ladyboys and grannies are like BA imperial stouts and lambic. An acquired taste but you won’t look back.

DAMN you, now i know why you didnt turn up