RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

BrewDog: Haway Man, get a grip

read 2270 times • 55 replies • posted 6/13/2013 5:04:16 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

premium
harrisoni 13733:21
Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by zimbo
I’d give Watt two years before he really sells out and sells BrewDog for a stack of cash.

Guess it would only be selling out if that wasn’t the agenda (maybe hidden) all along.

Hey I might even get a return on my investment as a shareholder, which I never really expected.

We do live in a capitalist society and in many forums on other sites on the internet Martin and James would be held up as role models for creating a start up company, going from the outsiders to the mainstream, changing the mainstream and then selling when they had the chance to make some big money. I don’t have a problem with that. I loved being around to enjoy the early years when it was genuinely exciting and Paradox Grain and the original Punk will remain memorable beers for me.

Yes, just my opinion.

Apparently other opinions are available, but that’s only a rumour.
6/16/2013 4:06:01 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
BenH 2333:6
Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by zimbo
I’d give Watt two years before he really sells out and sells BrewDog for a stack of cash.

Guess it would only be selling out if that wasn’t the agenda (maybe hidden) all along.

Hey I might even get a return on my investment as a shareholder, which I never really expected.

We do live in a capitalist society and in many forums on other sites on the internet Martin and James would be held up as role models for creating a start up company, going from the outsiders to the mainstream, changing the mainstream and then selling when they had the chance to make some big money. I don’t have a problem with that. I loved being around to enjoy the early years when it was genuinely exciting and Paradox Grain and the original Punk will remain memorable beers for me.

Yes, just my opinion.

Apparently other opinions are available, but that’s only a rumour.

I’m with you, Ian. There are a lot of things that Brewdog should be commended for. Their agressive and negative approach to marketing have made them easy to hate on but I think even in that department they have improved slightly over the past year or two. There’s less of a ’we are great and everyone else is shit’ mentality. They even seem to have stopped CAMRA baiting. Their beers still remain to be better than a lot of the dross thats out there even if they aren’t quite as good as other relatively new and emerging breweries. I think there’s still a place for them, they make a lot of noise on the beer scene and I think that’s good for attracting new drinkers. I’d be lying if I said I haven’t enjoyed any of their recent releases, some have been mediocre but some have also been excellent. I think it’s easy to ’downscore’ or have a bias when drinking a brewdog beer because we know they’re plonkers.
6/16/2013 4:35:46 AM

premium
MannyGoldberg 160:6
Originally posted by tdtm82
Yep as Gazza says now far more better beers made by brewers not requiring a stupid marketing gimmick to brand their beers. There’s far better beer at far less prices. Brewdog’s pricing system is a mess too.

For ages I’d absentmindedly chuck a couple of Punk or Thornbridges into the shopping trolley in Waitrose.

Then I realised Goose Island IPA was cheaper, just as tasty and a lot more consistent.

Well done monolithic breweries.
6/16/2013 6:06:29 AM

hopbomber 107:32
Originally posted by MannyGoldberg
Originally posted by tdtm82
Yep as Gazza says now far more better beers made by brewers not requiring a stupid marketing gimmick to brand their beers. There’s far better beer at far less prices. Brewdog’s pricing system is a mess too.

For ages I’d absentmindedly chuck a couple of Punk or Thornbridges into the shopping trolley in Waitrose.

Then I realised Goose Island IPA was cheaper, just as tasty and a lot more consistent.

Well done monolithic breweries.

Haha, indeed I go for GI for the same reasons.
6/16/2013 8:15:13 AM

premium
chriso 7365:371
Originally posted by harrisoni
We do live in a capitalist society and in many forums on other sites on the internet Martin and James would be held up as role models for creating a start up company, going from the outsiders to the mainstream, changing the mainstream and then selling when they had the chance to make some big money.

Yeah but they did, and still do, make great play on their renegade, rebel credentials. Which, rather paradoxically, is probably the branding & USP that may have some attraction for a prospective purchaser.

And it was those credentials that were to a significant extent responsible for building their following in the first place. If it does transpire that was just a marketing strategy to build a brand ripe for selling off (out?) to the man then that does strike me as just a teensy weensy bit disingenuous.
6/16/2013 8:34:30 AM

premium
harrisoni 13733:21
I know what you are saying Chris, but they got their beers into Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons and Waitrose, hardly the kind of places you are likely to find a rebellion starting. But they have shifted the mainstream. Were they rebels to start with? I don’t know, they certainly did things a little bit differently and the marketing and branding were certainly attractive. You can’t always be the new kid on the block, sometimes you end up becoming part of the establishment whether you want to or not.
6/16/2013 1:12:57 PM

premium
EdKing 1874:140
The reality is that Brewdog always had a lot more ambition in terms of building a brand. The end goal is clearly financial. There’s nothing wrong with that and in a way I think they should be commended for creating a very successful brand. Good luck to them. As someone who hunts down crafted artisan beers, I don’t go out of my way to drink their beers, but I do admire what they are doing. They’ve done something new and unique in the British beer scene. Hopefully they will be a gateway for young people to switch away from macro lager.
6/16/2013 1:42:08 PM

premium
MannyGoldberg 160:6
This century’s Ben & Jerry’s.
6/17/2013 5:39:12 AM

premium
Gary 1394:3
I LOVED the original PUNK IPA 6 % recipe. As others here would testify the beer was really assertively dry -an in-ya-face hop profile onslaught on the palate..its character matched the bravardo and "take no shit" attitude Brewdog used with their clever markting... then the beer changed . It became a 5.6% overly sweet IPA -departed was that intense hop bite textures...as if they were dumbing down the recipe to cater for lager appeal.
6/17/2013 7:15:46 AM

InvalidStout
I would have thought having a new brewery there would be fewer failed batches that needed recycling into something saleable.
6/17/2013 2:33:53 PM

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers