RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

BrewDog: Haway Man, get a grip

read 2213 times • 55 replies • posted 6/13/2013 5:04:16 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

zimbo 525:
Originally posted by Gary
I LOVED the original PUNK IPA 6 % recipe. As others here would testify the beer was really assertively dry -an in-ya-face hop profile onslaught on the palate..its character matched the bravardo and "take no shit" attitude Brewdog used with their clever markting... then the beer changed . It became a 5.6% overly sweet IPA -departed was that intense hop bite textures...as if they were dumbing down the recipe to cater for lager appeal.

The demise of the original 6% ABV Punk was the beginning of the end for me.
6/25/2013 2:06:56 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
madmitch76 14285:132
Meh! All this love for original Punk sets my teeth on edge. When new Punk was introduced there was at least one side by side tasting (at the Rake) and frankly the new version pissed all over the old version which tasted bland, dry and dusty by comparison.

Yeah it was less bitter than Old Punk but it was cleaner, better balanced and more nuanced in terms of its hop flavours.

Fans of the old style are living in the past man! (Cue Jethro Tull)
6/26/2013 4:12:01 PM

tdtm82 668:74
It was at the White Horse and I thought the new punk was good but since itís been erratic. It also takes time for a new brewery to become acclimatised to batches. Iíve enjoyed recent batches of Punk but the Ahtanum isnít a favourite hop of mine and could be swapped with Amarillo.
6/26/2013 4:19:16 PM

premium
madmitch76 14285:132
Not sure abaht the Sloaney but there wss defo an officilal side by side at the Rake. New Punk fresh and vibrant, Old Punk tired and staid. The clue is in the name - Punk. Remember 77 okay!
6/26/2013 4:28:00 PM

BeerBirraBier
Originally posted by tdtm82It also takes time for a new brewery to become acclimatised to batches. Iíve enjoyed recent batches of Punk but the Ahtanum isnít a favourite hop of mine and could be swapped with Amarillo.

But ... Punk was variable as all hell even before they moved to the new brewery. I dunno, it feels like a total lottery buying that beer. I love it when itís great, but when itís not great it can be terrible. Iíve had enough bad ones (and wasted enough money) to put me off taking the risk any more.
6/27/2013 1:36:11 AM

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers