RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Brewer to brewer, Kolsch is indistinguishable

read 6539 times • 126 replies • posted 5/5/2013 7:14:25 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

premium
Theydon_Bois 7935:605
Originally posted by McTapps
Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
Was in Bochum last weekend and there was some kind of festival on. Ginger hairy piglets on display - never seen the like !

You have been in Bochum and havenít drunk a Moritz Fiege at all? Unbelievable!

???

And how do you deduce this ?
5/8/2013 2:11:39 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
McTapps 3602:107
Was in Bochum last weekend and there was some kind of festival on. Ginger hairy piglets on display - never seen the like !

You have been in Bochum and havenít drunk a Moritz Fiege at all? Unbelievable!

???

And how do you deduce this ?

Iíd deduce that you probably miss some nice beers ;-)
5/8/2013 2:16:33 PM

premium
Alt, Pils, Grunde Helles, Schwarz were not missed.

My point being why do you presume I didnít have them ?
5/8/2013 2:20:33 PM

premium
Was just looking at your ratings and havenít seen anything else than Moritz Fiege Schwarz in your German beer ratings.

But am not looking for a public discussion, bp me if you have any issues ;-)
5/8/2013 2:30:25 PM

premium
JK 4353:271
Originally posted by robrules
>At the breweries, one fresh Kolsch is virtually indistinguishable from another. I could perceive little house character or differences between Paffgen, Muhlen, Sion, or Gaffel.

>Fresh Kolsch is substantially similar to well made but under-flavored yellow lager. There is a lack of complexity and variety to the style.

The second paragraph explains the first. If you canít tell the difference between lager and kolsch you may want to drop all the flavor bombs you drink in the US and re-learn how to taste beer - from the ground up instead of top down this time.

And if you couldnít tell the differences between the altbiers you had, your palate is quite suspect.

We just canít help ourselves from making it personal, can we?

I said similar, not the same. Thanks.
5/8/2013 2:34:31 PM

premium
Was just looking at your ratings and havenít seen anything else than Moritz Fiege Schwarz in your German beer ratings.

But am not looking for a public discussion, bp me if you have any issues ;-)

no issues - just wondered why you thought i didnt go to moritz f - it was the only reason we went to bochum!

112 ratings that weekend, back to work for 4 days, 30 or so rates last weekend - its a matter of finding the time to log the rates on here!
5/8/2013 2:45:13 PM

premium
harrisoni 13256:20
I went to Koln a few years back and could tell the difference between the Kolsch from different breweries. I look forward to going back next week and doing the same route. Sorry, I donít have a strong opinion on what the OP said either way. Iíll make up my own mind next week.
5/8/2013 2:51:11 PM

premium
And I was just looking at your ratings ;-) sure, sometimes you just canít find or get the time to rate.

Where was the festival you mentioned?
5/8/2013 2:51:57 PM

ContemplateBeer 1507:109
Originally posted by JK
>At the breweries, one fresh Kolsch is virtually indistinguishable from another. I could perceive little house character or differences between Paffgen, Muhlen, Sion, or Gaffel.

>Fresh Kolsch is substantially similar to well made but under-flavored yellow lager. There is a lack of complexity and variety to the style.

The second paragraph explains the first. If you canít tell the difference between lager and kolsch you may want to drop all the flavor bombs you drink in the US and re-learn how to taste beer - from the ground up instead of top down this time.

And if you couldnít tell the differences between the altbiers you had, your palate is quite suspect.

What can you expect when you make judgments on entire styles of beer with their own history and tradition? I know itís 2013, but these things matter to some people.
5/8/2013 3:13:22 PM

premium
JK 4353:271
Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
Originally posted by JK

What can you expect when you make judgments on entire styles of beer?

Reasonable discussion, I thought.
5/8/2013 3:14:40 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback