RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

brewer to brewer, kolsch is indistinguishable

read 6584 times • 126 replies • posted 5/5/2013 7:14:25 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

premium
harrisoni 13631:21
Originally posted by JK
Kolsch is unreasonably expensive at 1.6-1.8 Euro for .2L, making it the most expensive beer I found in Germany.

Now, that does ring true. 500ml of a beer in Bamberg costs, what, less than double those prices, so yes. And half a litre of beer in Munich was just over 3 euros so, by those standards Kolsch is relatively expensive.

Still I want to try Fruh, Sion, Pfaffen and Paffgen again next week.
5/8/2013 3:28:35 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
harrisoni 13631:21
Oh and who would have thought that such a mild inoffensive beer would have caused so much debate.
5/8/2013 3:29:55 PM

ContemplateBeer 1533:111
Originally posted by JK
Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
Originally posted by JK
Originally posted by robrules
>At the breweries, one fresh Kolsch is virtually indistinguishable from another. I could perceive little house character or differences between Paffgen, Muhlen, Sion, or Gaffel.

>Fresh Kolsch is substantially similar to well made but under-flavored yellow lager. There is a lack of complexity and variety to the style.

The second paragraph explains the first. If you can’t tell the difference between lager and kolsch you may want to drop all the flavor bombs you drink in the US and re-learn how to taste beer - from the ground up instead of top down this time.

And if you couldn’t tell the differences between the altbiers you had, your palate is quite suspect.

We just can’t help ourselves from making it personal, can we?

I said similar, not the same. Thanks.

What can you expect when you make judgments on entire styles of beer?

Reasonable discussion, I thought.
I wonder what the thoughts of the brewers would be if you called their products "indistinguishable"? Did you discuss the matter with any of the brewers or related employees? Were they able to give you any insight on the differences between their beer and others?
5/8/2013 4:19:15 PM

premium
Theydon_Bois 8385:617
Originally posted by McTapps
And I was just looking at your ratings ;-) sure, sometimes you just can’t find or get the time to rate.

Where was the festival you mentioned?

All were rated, just sometimes takes a month or more to get them typed up on the website !

The festival was in the centre of Bochum on the main road that runs down from the Hbf.

It was a marching bands/brass bands competition I think.

There were also regional food and drink stalls along with various agricultural displays.

Could have done without it tbh as the service at Moritz F was very slow. They seemed to have what I presume was the normal amount of waiters (2) and didn’t get extra staff in for what must have been a very busy evening!
5/9/2013 3:04:40 AM

Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by randomgarbage
Originally posted by Erlangernick

In my case, it simply hasn’t happened. SNPA (and SNCA FTM) taste the same to me now as they did years and years ago.

This doesn’t surprise me when you’re talking about aggressively bitter beer. Not much flavor going on in those mentioned, just harsh bitterness and some malt.

SNPA is certainly not aggressively bitter! Don’t forget the rest of what I wrote though, about other kinds of beer.
5/9/2013 3:10:22 AM

Originally posted by JK
Originally posted by JK
Originally posted by robrules
>At the breweries, one fresh Kolsch is virtually indistinguishable from another. I could perceive little house character or differences between Paffgen, Muhlen, Sion, or Gaffel.

>Fresh Kolsch is substantially similar to well made but under-flavored yellow lager. There is a lack of complexity and variety to the style.

The second paragraph explains the first. If you can’t tell the difference between lager and kolsch you may want to drop all the flavor bombs you drink in the US and re-learn how to taste beer - from the ground up instead of top down this time.

And if you couldn’t tell the differences between the altbiers you had, your palate is quite suspect.

We just can’t help ourselves from making it personal, can we?

I said similar, not the same. Thanks.

What can you expect when you make judgments on entire styles of beer?

Reasonable discussion, I thought.
I wonder what the thoughts of the brewers would be if you called their products "indistinguishable"? Did you discuss the matter with any of the brewers or related employees? Were they able to give you any insight on the differences between their beer and others?

How would that matter? They’d likely smile and hug the dearly misguided, poor American who doesn’t know anything about "real beer" brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot, etc., etc.

FWIW, I would seriously like to do a comparison --blind, of course-- of the various Kölsches in Köln, all served fresh from gravity barrels, side-by-side. THAT would be telling.

Oh, right, you can’t. You can only wander from one place to another, going on memory and increasing inebriation.
5/9/2013 3:14:26 AM

left_bank 69:47
Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by JK
Kolsch is unreasonably expensive at 1.6-1.8 Euro for .2L, making it the most expensive beer I found in Germany.

Now, that does ring true. 500ml of a beer in Bamberg costs, what, less than double those prices, so yes.
^^^^^^^^
>when i was in bamberg less then 2 years ago,the top rated places on rb had their pints going for pretty close to the 2E mark.
5/9/2013 7:23:45 AM

Originally posted by left_bank
Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by JK

Now, that does ring true. 500ml of a beer in Bamberg costs, what, less than double those prices, so yes.
^^^^^^^^
>when i was in bamberg less then 2 years ago,the top rated places on rb had their pints going for pretty close to the 2E mark.

What? Even out in the (cheap) countryside, the price of a Seidla’s been pushing the 2 € mark for a couple of years, in some places exceeding it. In Bamberg, they’ve been over 2 € for a while. The highly rated (I assume) Café Abseits has been over 2 € for years, now 2,50 €. Schlenkerla’s been over 2 € for years too, IIRC.

Your followups are wackily formatted.
5/11/2013 12:05:49 AM

left_bank 69:47
/>Your followups are wackily formatted.
>that is because my friends and i have running beer bets how long it will take you-and only you-to come back into the thread!
5/11/2013 2:33:47 AM

Originally posted by left_bank
/>Your followups are wackily formatted.
>that is because my friends and i have running beer bets how long it will take you-and only you-to come back into the thread!

Anything I can do to keep youse entertained!

Back to Kölsch. In honour of this thread, I picked up a bottle of Hellers (organic) Kölsch whilst shopping yesterday. Hadn’t had it in a long time, and it’s the only bottled Kölsch I know of around here except for one or two of the most industrialised ones that make it into sixpacks at the big bottle shops.

It was indeed quite decent, and makes me want to seek it out on draught next time I’m in Köln, having never been to Hellers before.

The Braufactum Bitterbier is excellent, wish Kölsch was actually like this today.
5/11/2013 3:17:35 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers