read 7090 times • 126 replies •

Thread Frozen

drowland
premium
beers 7059 º places 216 º 19:39 Sun 5/5/2013

Originally posted by SHIG
Originally posted by FrumptyDumpty
Originally posted by SHIG
Out of 16 I have had the top one is American and only 3 were scored above 3.0. They are similar to the rest of German beer, ordinary.

Says someone who must have zero understanding of german beer what so ever.

I actually think I have a great understanding of German beers, they like to stick to their tradition which I am fine with. However even the freshest of pils, weizen, alts, Kolsch, weisse, schwarzbier, or bock that I drank while living there for almost 8 yrs made me excited about their styles of beers. I will have to give them some credit for rauchbier not being ordinary, but I found it only enjoyable in small doses.

Props for your response. Ryan is great, but Iím not sure why he randomly tried to call out someone he didnít realized lived in Germany for so long.

ContemplateBeer
beers 1777 º places 137 º 19:41 Sun 5/5/2013

Drink local... wherever local might be at the moment.

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 20:38 Sun 5/5/2013

Iíll give a hats off to Ryan in sticking up for German beers in general, but also say that as commercial brewers, we are biased towards German beers in many ways, not the least of which is incredible consistency and a focus that many outside of Germany lack.

And with that said, if you donít like Kolsch, you donít like beer, and you donít like yourself.

adnielsen
premium
beers 10138 º places 420 º 20:46 Sun 5/5/2013

If you have problems distinguishing Kolsch, maybe itís time that you try the best Kolsch in the world: Cigar City Pilot Series Pineapple Kolsch.

beastiefan2k
beers 2868 º places 194 º 22:00 Sun 5/5/2013

Originally posted by rpattinson
If you canít tell the difference between Sion and Paeffgen, you need your palate recalibrating.

do you think the average person can tell?

KyotoLefty
premium
beers 7878 º places 574 º 22:29 Sun 5/5/2013

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
If you canít tell the difference between Sion and Paeffgen, you need your palate recalibrating.

I found them completely different. 2.9 to 4.0 in ratings.

rpattinson
beers 84 º 23:56 Sun 5/5/2013

Unless theyíve lost their sense of smell, yes. Itís a pretty effing obvious difference.

Erlangernick
beers 1 º places 2 º 00:24 Mon 5/6/2013

Unless theyíve lost their sense of smell, yes. Itís a pretty effing obvious difference.

Thereís not a *huge* difference though. Different KŲlschbier(s), yes, but still, the difference between these two is nothing like the difference between, say, German and Czech Pils...on average. (As if this adds anything to the discussion!)

Erlangernick
beers 1 º places 2 º 00:26 Mon 5/6/2013

Originally posted by FrumptyDumpty
If someone wants to say "all german beer is ordinary" then they just donít know german beer. I donít think there is anything wrong in me saying so.

Aye. Donít see what you said as a personal attack, just a pointed comment.

Erlangernick
beers 1 º places 2 º 00:48 Mon 5/6/2013

Originally posted by JK

So what youíre saying is, you regret not having followed my advice to spend the ENTIRE TIME in Bamberg. Ah well, thereís always a next time.