RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Brewer to brewer, Kolsch is indistinguishable

read 6737 times • 126 replies • posted 5/5/2013 7:14:25 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

Erlangernick 1:2
Also, the vast bulk of the beer brewed by the 1200(?) breweries in Germany is *intended* to be indistinguishable from each other -- this is a trend that has been going on for years now and is well documented by the media, even with TV shows about it.
5/7/2013 12:34:13 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
JK 4586:293
I get it now. There is obviously something wrong with my palate and my knowledge of beer is lacking because I found Kolsch rathet flavorless and boring.
5/7/2013 5:51:35 AM

premium
JulienHuxley 3344:277
Originally posted by KyotoLefty
I think itís a mistake to say that anyone who disagrees with the OP (and others of the same camp) is harassing. I for one havenít harassed anyone. This kind of OP is provocative, and it was obviously meant to be: a sweeping generalization with which many people were likely to disagree, like "I finally went to Cologne and donít see what all the fuss is about..." ("Even though so many of you say the kolsch there is so special..." being implied.) Thatís fine.

Itís also fine (and to be expected) that many people simply and strongly disagree. Does that mean weíre the experts? Not necessarily. But what I find interesting is this: If you say: "Kolsch is boring," or "I donít like weizens." There is nothing I can really say, as that is your preference. But if you say "All kolschs taste the same," or "German beers have no distinctive features," then we are talking about a more objective claim. I find kolsch to be not very interesting overall, but have been to Cologne twice and tried several of them there, and when I hear someone saying that they are indistinguishable one from another, I imagine that person must not have been paying much attention.

Up until this post I was getting a little annoyed by how easily old world beer enthusiasts got butt-hurt by a rather inoffensive. I understand the position better now. I guess the frustrating thing is when youíre in the business of promoting a world of beer tradition, and then someone "from the inside" discards it all as being objectively the same, it can be quite annoying.

I, for one, am just getting started on beer travel and canít wait to return to Europe (planning a trip to Germany right now). Hopefully German beer will live up to the experience I had in Czech Rep.
5/7/2013 5:59:20 AM

premium
hawthorne00 2513:43
Originally posted by JK
I get it now. There is obviously something wrong with my palate and my knowledge of beer is lacking because I found Kolsch rathet flavorless and boring.
No, not much caring for KŲlsch is not why. It is your claim in the title of your thread that Brewer to brewer, Kolsch is indistinguishable.
5/7/2013 6:36:14 AM

FrumptyDumpty
I donít really care that someone might not like a certain style as I have a couple I am not a giant fan of. What I dislike is broad sweeping generalizations that just donít hold water, such as all german beer is ordinary.
5/7/2013 6:36:24 AM

Erlangernick 1:2
All German beer is German.
5/7/2013 6:53:27 AM

premium
Truisms rock ^
5/7/2013 7:02:04 AM

mike004
I disagree with the OP that the Cologne beers all taste the same. But heís entitled to his opinion. I reckon you need to drink at least 10 before making a rating decision :)

Maybe this is what happens if you drink too many extreme beers?
Your palate changes and simple, fresh beers just donít impress you anymore. And you can never go back...
5/7/2013 7:05:43 AM

premium
Originally posted by mike004
I disagree with the OP that the Cologne beers all taste the same. But heís entitled to his opinion. I reckon you need to drink at least 10 before making a rating decision :)

Your palate changes and simple, fresh beers just donít impress you anymore. And you can never go back...

I disagree, Iím definitely getting tired of extreme beers and liking drinking simple fresh beers more and more as things move on.
5/7/2013 7:30:18 AM

premium
JK 4586:293
Originally posted by mike004

I love a good Vienna or Czech Pilsner, so I donít agree with that.
5/7/2013 8:23:40 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers