RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Brewer to brewer, Kolsch is indistinguishable

read 6658 times • 126 replies • posted 5/5/2013 7:14:25 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

premium
foppa78 12
Originally posted by Erlangernick
All German beer is German.

Please stop with the sweeping generalizations
5/7/2013 8:25:14 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
pepsican 1447:46
Originally posted by JulienHuxley
Originally posted by mike004
I disagree with the OP that the Cologne beers all taste the same. But heís entitled to his opinion. I reckon you need to drink at least 10 before making a rating decision :)

Maybe this is what happens if you drink too many extreme beers?
Your palate changes and simple, fresh beers just donít impress you anymore. And you can never go back...

I disagree, Iím definitely getting tired of extreme beers and liking drinking simple fresh beers more and more as things move on.

This. After the honeymoon phase with big beer you realize youíre often sleeping with a troll. Not saying the extreme side canít pull off some amazing beers.
5/7/2013 8:26:45 AM

Erlangernick 1:2
Accusations of palate drift are over-rated.
5/7/2013 8:53:01 AM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by Erlangernick
Accusations of palate drift are over-rated.

Youíre joking, right? It happens with virtually everything. Spicy foods. Bitter beers. Dry wines. And so on. Just because Germany has 2000 beers that all fall within a very narrow range and that youíre forced to find differences doesnít mean much. I know my perceptions of bitterness are very different now than even 5 years ago. To suggest that palate drift is over rated is silly.
5/7/2013 9:11:32 AM

gunhaver 1030:13
my palate seems to change daily

regardless of everything though i still like the idea of kolsches and want to drink more of them
5/7/2013 2:24:08 PM

drewbeerme 3879:1
I would take an ordinary/normal Kolsch over most examples of:
Pale/light/premie lagers, ambers, browns, dry stout, dubbels, Belgian strongs, tripels, American strongs, faro, creams, commons, English strong ales, milds, fruit beers foreign stouts, and spice/herb/veggie ales.
5/7/2013 3:46:54 PM

premium
JK 4475:283
Originally posted by drewbeerme
Pale/light/premie lagers, ambers, browns, dry stout, dubbels, Belgian strongs, tripels, American strongs, faro, creams, commons, English strong ales, milds, fruit beers foreign stouts, and spice/herb/veggie ales.

I think you have only had one German example, from a bottle?
5/7/2013 3:49:32 PM

drewbeerme 3879:1
Originally posted by JK
Originally posted by drewbeerme

I think you have only had one German example, from a bottle?

So? Everyone Iíve talked to (including you) have said they were better there. If I have my opinion already based on never having a fresh German one wouldnít I just have a stronger opinion yet the same one? I donít think you have to have visited cologne to have an idea of what a Kolsch beer is. I like the style for what it is, a crisp light session/lawnmower beer but Iíd surely grow tired of it if that was all I could drink. And Iíd pick a pilsner over it any day though.
5/7/2013 4:13:46 PM

ContemplateBeer 1543:112
Originally posted by hawthorne00
Originally posted by JK
I get it now. There is obviously something wrong with my palate and my knowledge of beer is lacking because I found Kolsch rathet flavorless and boring.
No, not much caring for KŲlsch is not why. It is your claim in the title of your thread that Brewer to brewer, Kolsch is indistinguishable.
If I had an issue with what JKs saying, that would be it- that the thread title makes an authoritative claim based on nothing else but the authorís experience.
5/7/2013 7:27:38 PM

premium
JK 4475:283
Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
Originally posted by hawthorne00
Originally posted by JK
I get it now. There is obviously something wrong with my palate and my knowledge of beer is lacking because I found Kolsch rathet flavorless and boring.
No, not much caring for KŲlsch is not why. It is your claim in the title of your thread that Brewer to brewer, Kolsch is indistinguishable.
If I had an issue with what JKs saying, that would be it- that the thread title makes an authoritative claim based on nothing else but the authorís experience.

Sorry for not using the passive voice. Any half decent writer knows there is no need to inform the reader that one is about to give an opinion.
5/7/2013 8:25:41 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers