Breweries by Volume Stats - 2014

Reads 814 • Replies 6 • Started Tuesday, March 31, 2015 7:22:30 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

beastiefan2k
beers 5003 º places 292 º 19:22 Tue 3/31/2015

For those interested:
http://www.brewersassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2015_Top_50.jpg

As stated by many before the term "craft" seems to be losing meaning: Yuengling, Minhas, Gambrinus, riiiigggghhhhhhtttttttttttttttt.

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 19:32 Tue 3/31/2015

And Pabst is still being counted as a US brewery after last year’s RUS takeover?

beastiefan2k
beers 5003 º places 292 º 20:01 Tue 3/31/2015

Originally posted by bartlebier
And Pabst is still being counted as a US brewery after last year’s RUS takeover?

that was misinformation. Still proud to be American owned and contract brewed.
http://www.thedailymeal.com/news/drink/pabst-blue-ribbon-will-not-be-owned-russians-after-all/111814

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 03:31 Wed 4/1/2015

Wait. Schell is now a "craft" brewery? As I assume Schell hasn’t changed anything to accomodate this, I will assume the venerable Brewer’s Association have once again waffled around to increase membership.

Or whatever.

beastiefan2k
beers 5003 º places 292 º 13:11 Wed 4/1/2015

basically, everyone in the states is craft now unless you are associated with ABInbev, Miller Coors, or Pabst.

CLevar
places 23 º 13:58 Wed 4/1/2015

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Wait. Schell is now a "craft" brewery? As I assume Schell hasn’t changed anything to accomodate this, I will assume the venerable Brewer’s Association have once again waffled around to increase membership.

Or whatever.

Yeah, Schell’s is definitely not "Craft".

It’s not like they are brewing great sours aged in old Cyprus tanks.

And it’s not like they have been a family owned and operated brewery for generations.

And it’s not like they brew with traditional ingredients or processes.

Heck, they also don’t make some of the best German style beers around.

NO WAY should they be considered "Craft". "Craft" should only be reserved for passionate homebrewers who decided to go pro.

Yes, the above is all sarcasm. Schells is "Craft" beer. When did scale become the only thing defining "Craft"? Sure, we can set some arbitrary volume cutoff (That will inevitably move upwards year to year), but at the end of the day, I think the history, quality of product, dedication to tradition, and pushing the envelope with interesting beers puts Schells firmly in the "Craft" category.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 03:46 Thu 4/2/2015

Yes, sarcasm. Schell was blacklisted for a (long?) time because they brew with adjuncts. Now that adjuncts are cool (read, certain other breweries get to play along/contribute $$$$), Schell’s in.

While I never drank Schell in my Minnesconsin years, they were beloved to me in my Oregon years, being a source of excellent lagers. Back when there wasn’t really much good lager in Orygun. So, I have a soft spot for them. And I have rolled my eyes at the silly "craft" terminology for decades now.