Brewing barleywine

Reads 3993 • Replies 21 • Started Friday, November 16, 2012 4:38:14 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 11:05 Wed 11/21/2012

Originally posted by bitbucket
That does look good. I’ve been using Gambrinus ESB as a sub for Maris Otter, and liking it. It’s way less expensive for me locally, but weirdly more expensive on Norther Brewer than floor malted MO.

I would say that that is probably due to your geographical proximity to Gambrinus.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 11:08 Wed 11/21/2012

Originally posted by SpringsLicker
Here’s a good English style BW recipe. Steve entered it as an Old Ale, but everyone who has tasted his calls it a BW. I got to taste one of the original bottles from the batch that won.

Hunter’s Moon

Ended up brewing something really inspired by this. I did a 3 1/2 hour boil instead of 6, and it was also a 5 gallon batch. Missed my OG (1.095 instead of 1.110) I suspect it was because I added a bit too much water for the last hour of the boil. Smells delicious though, can’t wait for 8 months or so to pass :P

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 07:43 Sun 12/2/2012

My beer fermented out really quickly, it’s only been two weeks and it is currently a 1.016 This seems rather "dry" for a barleywine and it tastes like jet fuel for the moment but I’ll let it mellow out for a couple of months and see.

oteyj
beers 2138 º places 14 º 10:19 Sun 12/2/2012

Originally posted by JulienHuxley
My beer fermented out really quickly, it’s only been two weeks and it is currently a 1.016 This seems rather "dry" for a barleywine and it tastes like jet fuel for the moment but I’ll let it mellow out for a couple of months and see.

A lot of those hot alcohol flavors will be converted to esters. Unless your ferm temps went too high, then they’re fusels and you’re f’ed.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 10:33 Sun 12/2/2012

Temp never went over 68, I think I’m good right?

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 10:42 Sun 12/2/2012

Also, is it safe to transfer it to secondary now that terminal gravity has been reached or should it stay on it’s cake to "clean up" a bit more? Thanks!

oteyj
beers 2138 º places 14 º 10:43 Sun 12/2/2012

Sounds great!

You can transfer it now. You’ve already given it 2 weeks, plus there’s plenty of yeast in suspension to clean things up.

Cheers!

James

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 20:19 Sun 12/2/2012

Temp never went over 68, I think I’m good right?

Just curious here, when you say the temperature never went over 68, are you talking ambient temperatures (room temp) or wort temperatures?

Also, time will cure most jet fuel problems. I’d wait a year and see what it’s like then.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 06:56 Mon 12/3/2012

Wort temp from a stick on thermometer. The room is actually between 64 and 66.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 10:42 Mon 12/3/2012

Also, is it safe to transfer it to secondary now that terminal gravity has been reached or should it stay on it’s cake to "clean up" a bit more? Thanks!

I’d leave it on the cake, personally. You won’t hurt the beer by leaving it. I’d probably even consider forgoing a secondary altogether and just let it drop some for a month in the primary then bottle it up.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer