RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Brewing barleywine

read 2327 times • 21 replies • posted 11/16/2012 4:38:14 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
JulienHuxley 4241:344
Originally posted by bitbucket
That does look good. Iíve been using Gambrinus ESB as a sub for Maris Otter, and liking it. Itís way less expensive for me locally, but weirdly more expensive on Norther Brewer than floor malted MO.

I would say that that is probably due to your geographical proximity to Gambrinus.
11/21/2012 11:05:58 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Originally posted by SpringsLicker
Hereís a good English style BW recipe. Steve entered it as an Old Ale, but everyone who has tasted his calls it a BW. I got to taste one of the original bottles from the batch that won.

Hunterís Moon

Ended up brewing something really inspired by this. I did a 3 1/2 hour boil instead of 6, and it was also a 5 gallon batch. Missed my OG (1.095 instead of 1.110) I suspect it was because I added a bit too much water for the last hour of the boil. Smells delicious though, canít wait for 8 months or so to pass :P
11/21/2012 11:08:11 AM

premium
My beer fermented out really quickly, itís only been two weeks and it is currently a 1.016 This seems rather "dry" for a barleywine and it tastes like jet fuel for the moment but Iíll let it mellow out for a couple of months and see.
12/2/2012 7:43:53 AM

oteyj 2130:14
Originally posted by JulienHuxley
My beer fermented out really quickly, itís only been two weeks and it is currently a 1.016 This seems rather "dry" for a barleywine and it tastes like jet fuel for the moment but Iíll let it mellow out for a couple of months and see.

A lot of those hot alcohol flavors will be converted to esters. Unless your ferm temps went too high, then theyíre fusels and youíre fíed.
12/2/2012 10:19:28 AM

premium
Temp never went over 68, I think Iím good right?
12/2/2012 10:33:34 AM

premium
Also, is it safe to transfer it to secondary now that terminal gravity has been reached or should it stay on itís cake to "clean up" a bit more? Thanks!
12/2/2012 10:42:04 AM

oteyj 2130:14
Sounds great!

You can transfer it now. Youíve already given it 2 weeks, plus thereís plenty of yeast in suspension to clean things up.

Cheers!

James
12/2/2012 10:43:53 AM

bitbucket 2160:63
Temp never went over 68, I think Iím good right?

Just curious here, when you say the temperature never went over 68, are you talking ambient temperatures (room temp) or wort temperatures?

Also, time will cure most jet fuel problems. Iíd wait a year and see what itís like then.
12/2/2012 8:19:39 PM

premium
Wort temp from a stick on thermometer. The room is actually between 64 and 66.
12/3/2012 6:56:57 AM

NobleSquirrel 3438:209
Also, is it safe to transfer it to secondary now that terminal gravity has been reached or should it stay on itís cake to "clean up" a bit more? Thanks!

Iíd leave it on the cake, personally. You wonít hurt the beer by leaving it. Iíd probably even consider forgoing a secondary altogether and just let it drop some for a month in the primary then bottle it up.
12/3/2012 10:42:21 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2015,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add