RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Brewing for beginners

read 4533 times • 61 replies • posted 9/8/2012 9:07:10 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

MaydDay 5:
I’m assuming you have read a fair amount of material regarding the homebrewing process?

like http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html
or some books available online
9/13/2012 12:34:07 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
admin
Danko
BIAB is a very good start to look into. However, don’t procrastinate.

By the time you settle on your first brew you could have done several kit start brews and learn a lot instead of procrastinating.

Good luck, man!
9/13/2012 12:58:35 PM

premium
JoeinEscazú 1325:278
There are homebrew shops in Europe, and I assume they’d ship to Cypress too. I used to shop here: http://www.brouwland.com/

You can do extract+specialty grains and still make your own distinctive recipes. Then just order what you need. There are tons of recipes out there online, and you can always change them to make them your own.
9/13/2012 1:05:17 PM

giorgos 4
im gonna buy the materials from england , so any ideas or suggestions about beer shops and materials are welcomed.
9/13/2012 2:21:34 PM

giorgos 4
regarding brouland http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bigger-Jugs-6-Kit-Premium-Starter-Beer-Equipment-Making-Set-23-Litres-New-/180946981793?pt=Home_Brew&hash=item2a2147d3a1#ht_1484wt_1271 this kit is cheaper and can produce more.. i think is fine.. i can either combine it with a more specialtiy beer kit or combine it with extract and other materials
9/13/2012 2:30:35 PM

robrules 1
Key to making good beer is learning/practicing sanitation procedures, practicing transfer of beer from one vessel to another, pitching a proper amount of yeast, and temperature control of fermentation. Brewing from a premade kit will help you concentrate on the most important things without worrying if your recipe is going to turn out ok. When you got the basics down, then move on to learning to develop your own recipes.
9/14/2012 1:25:15 PM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by robrules
Key to making good beer is learning/practicing sanitation procedures, practicing transfer of beer from one vessel to another, pitching a proper amount of yeast, and temperature control of fermentation. Brewing from a premade kit will help you concentrate on the most important things without worrying if your recipe is going to turn out ok. When you got the basics down, then move on to learning to develop your own recipes.

Yep.

Get your process down first.

Then you can find out how deep the rabbit hole goes.
9/14/2012 2:06:03 PM

giorgos 4
cool! another thing..i dont thing that an electric hob is preferred , right?
9/14/2012 4:49:40 PM

olie 21:5
I’ve just made my first brew today, going straight to BiaB rather than starting with a kit. Obviosuly won’t know for sure til I can drink it, but I don’t think anything’s gone wrong other than wildly underestimating how much wort I’d loose to the malt, hops and evaporation, ended up with 3 litres less beer than I intended... Really enjoyed it though, can’t wait til I can have another go!
9/15/2012 8:56:56 AM

premium
SarkyNorthener 1420:70
Giorgos, if you are buying the kits in England then you will have a lot of homebrew shops that you can buy from, all cheap. Nearly every town as a few of these shops. The best thing about buying from a homebrew shop is that the owners can offer you advice and help also. I have gone in to buy a bottle brush and come out half an hour later with new ideas and tips. They rely on repeat custom for years to come so won’t rip you off with a one of pointless sale.I personally would start with a kit, at least for the first few batches. You can get regional beers if you want to try something a bit different. You can even get a create your own kit at some shops, where you choose the hops and yeast etc. But if you do decide to jump straight in I would make sure you do plenty of research and use this and other forums for a lot of questions that will crop up throughout the process.
9/19/2012 3:32:32 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add