RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Brewing for beginners

read 4713 times • 61 replies • posted 9/8/2012 9:07:10 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

premium
BBB63 6083:137
Originally posted by SpringsLicker
I have several friends who learned to brew by helping me who have never brewed with extract, but unless you are also in that type of learning situation; I would recommend an advanced kit with extract. Try to find a kit using dry malt extract vs liquid, and with "specialty grains or steeping grains" This will not be too much harder than a very basic kit and it will add a lot of flavor and will make you feel good seeing real barley grains being converted into good beer. As you feel comfortable with the process and become more proficient you can move towards advanced all grain brewing. None of the steps are hard, there are just more and more of them involved. But if you can boil water you can make good beer. And if you can read a thermometer, you can make great beer.

listen to this man
10/18/2012 3:57:01 PM

Private message send the author a private message

giorgos 4
Originally posted by BBB63
Originally posted by SpringsLicker
I have several friends who learned to brew by helping me who have never brewed with extract, but unless you are also in that type of learning situation; I would recommend an advanced kit with extract. Try to find a kit using dry malt extract vs liquid, and with "specialty grains or steeping grains" This will not be too much harder than a very basic kit and it will add a lot of flavor and will make you feel good seeing real barley grains being converted into good beer. As you feel comfortable with the process and become more proficient you can move towards advanced all grain brewing. None of the steps are hard, there are just more and more of them involved. But if you can boil water you can make good beer. And if you can read a thermometer, you can make great beer.

listen to this man

im on the stage of fermenting now so it doesnt really matter!
10/18/2012 4:07:04 PM

Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by giorgos
yes.. potential alcohol = 0 ,approx. sugar per liter = 60, specific grav = 20 ....

i dont know it seems strange.. i had 2 days o fermentation on the second and fourth day.. there are bubbles on the cap of my vessel and it is a bit boosted.. when i press it the airlock makes bubbles.. is it wrong to do it? is it bad to have bubbles on the top of it?

??? 0% alcohol?

Normally, hydrometers give readings in ° Plato (% Stammwürze in German) or in specific gravity (in the US, not sure about the UK). Did you take a reading before fermentation started? And then another one after a few days?

Have you tasted it?
10/19/2012 1:45:47 AM

giorgos 4
i didnt take a reading in the begining..i did 2 days ago.. i tasted it. its like a proper belgian but without alcohol and it is a bit thinner so far. last night there was a bit action in the airlock
10/19/2012 2:23:03 AM

If you mean the specific gravity is now 1.020, I’m not sure what to suggest. It might be dangerous to bottle it, because it might still ferment quite a lot in the bottle.

I also have no experience with the kit you used, so I don’t know what to say about that.

Next time, take a hydrometer reading BEFORE you pitch the yeast, and then when primary fermentation has died down (the foam on top of the wort collapses) take another one. With this second reading, it’s important to drive off the CO2 in the wort first, because CO2 in the wort affects hydrometer readings.
10/22/2012 12:45:14 AM

giorgos 4
it says just 20.. im gonna measure it now again. its been 10 days in the vessel
10/22/2012 11:00:46 AM

santabeer 67:9
I hope you didn’t use the shower hose for cleaning and water. Always use water from the kitchen or someplace else where there isn’t a plastic hose.
10/22/2012 12:27:10 PM

giorgos 4
water as in the water for the beer? i used filtered water. i just open it for reading. it is close to the ’’bottle’’ sign on the hydrometer. a put fining and did stir.
10/22/2012 2:00:10 PM

Phil 178:28
if you’re in the UK there is Jim’s Homebrew Kit site, and perhaps come to one of the London Amateur Brewers Meets, and there is the London South East Homebrewers comp soon.

but, there is a lot of good advice above. Nice work!
10/22/2012 2:05:19 PM

Originally posted by santabeer
I hope you didn’t use the shower hose for cleaning and water. Always use water from the kitchen or someplace else where there isn’t a plastic hose.

Why?
10/23/2012 12:19:43 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add