Brewing this weekend

Reads 969 • Replies 12 • Started Friday, January 18, 2013 10:25:47 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 10:25 Fri 1/18/2013

Got a head start on the weekend and brewing today, giving a go at trying a combination of different grain flakes in a saison. I’ll be using WY3711 (French Saison)

9 lbs pils
2 lbs vienna
1 lb wheat
.66 lb rye flakes
.66 lb spelt flakes
.66 lb oat flakes
.5 lb melanoidin

1oz Hallertau @60
0.5oz Hallertau @20
1oz Saaz @20

I’ll be using lots and lots of rice hulls, what do you guys think about the amount of flakes in there? Too much?

Oh and, what are you brewing this weekend?

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 10:42 Fri 1/18/2013

My wife wants to brew this weekend. I’m supposed to supervise and let her do the work. Her recipe is a passion fruit wheat. (maracuya is ample and cheap round these parts.) Extract, so we don’t kill the whole Saturday.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 10:46 Fri 1/18/2013

Have Monday off work (MLK day). brewing the Boulevard Saison Brett Clone. First Brett Beer. Very stoked! MIght have some coworkers come by to take part in the brew day.

HornyDevil
11:00 Fri 1/18/2013

Originally posted by JulienHuxley
I’ll be using lots and lots of rice hulls, what do you guys think about the amount of flakes in there? Too much?

A little less than 2 lbs of assorted flakes in a 14.5 lbs grainbill? You won’t even notice them except for a little bit better head retention. As has been said before, rice hulls are cheap so using them as an insurance policy isn’t a bad thing, but I routinely use 4 lbs of oats in a 14 lb grainbill without any problem with runoff.

Oh and, what are you brewing this weekend?

Not brewing ’til next weekend, but here’s the recipe anyway.

10 lbs Maris Otter
4 lbs quick oats

single infusion mash at 148F for 1 hour

first gallon of runoff mixed with 2 lbs of white sugar and boiled until reduced by 3/4ths then cooled and added directly to fermenter

1 oz. Magnum at first boil of a 1 hour boil

10 oz. Belma, 3 oz. Amarillo, and 3 oz. Citra added at 180F

Cool and pitch US05

Ferment until clear

Two 1-week dry hop sessions each consisting of 1 oz. each of Belma, Amarillo, and Citra

HornyDevil
11:02 Fri 1/18/2013

Originally posted by adamjackson
brewing the Boulevard Saison Brett Clone. First Brett Beer. Very stoked!

Care to post the recipe that you are using?

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 11:24 Fri 1/18/2013

Originally posted by HornyDevil
A little less than 2 lbs of assorted flakes in a 14.5 lbs grainbill? You won’t even notice them except for a little bit better head retention. As has been said before, rice hulls are cheap so using them as an insurance policy isn’t a bad thing, but I routinely use 4 lbs of oats in a 14 lb grainbill without any problem with runoff.

That’s good to know - might up my oats a little then, and maybe use some rye malt.

Not brewing ’til next weekend, but here’s the recipe anyway.

10 lbs Maris Otter
4 lbs quick oats

single infusion mash at 148F for 1 hour

first gallon of runoff mixed with 2 lbs of white sugar and boiled until reduced by 3/4ths then cooled and added directly to fermenter

1 oz. Magnum at first boil of a 1 hour boil

10 oz. Belma, 3 oz. Amarillo, and 3 oz. Citra added at 180F

Cool and pitch US05

Ferment until clear

Two 1-week dry hop sessions each consisting of 1 oz. each of Belma, Amarillo, and Citra

A pound of hops!

Quasimodo
beers 217 º 11:31 Fri 1/18/2013

Anything less than a pound is weaksauce.

Quasimodo
beers 217 º 11:38 Fri 1/18/2013

Next two beers are:

Zythos ESB with special roast

Rochefort 8ish beer

It’s too cold and windy to brew this weekend.

HornyDevil
11:55 Fri 1/18/2013

A pound of hops!

After flame out.

23 oz. altogether.

My rule of thumb for IPAs is a pound of hops. DIPAs get a pound and a half or thereabouts. It’s not that much when you consider that all but an ounce or two go in after the boil is over.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 12:15 Fri 1/18/2013

After flame out.

23 oz. altogether.

My rule of thumb for IPAs is a pound of hops. DIPAs get a pound and a half or thereabouts. It’s not that much when you consider that all but an ounce or two go in after the boil is over.

Yeah I noticed the technique you were using. Definitely interesting, the idea of going later even than late additions. I usually use lots of late additions, but add the hops when the wort is still boiling (usually 1.5 ozs @5min, @3min and @1min). Your technique, I gather, is to avoid breaking the aroma compounds in hops that get destroyed by boiling? It sounds good, but also a tad "wasteful" in the cost/benefit sense. I’ll have to try it someday though.

How do you chill your wort?/How long do your hops steep in the 180 degree wort?

HornyDevil
12:28 Fri 1/18/2013

How do you chill your wort?/How long do your hops steep in the 180 degree wort?

I let them steep for about 2 hours as the wort cools in a water bath. By that time the wort is usually cool enough to pour it into the fermenter and pitch.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer