Brewing This Weekend

Reads 2883 • Replies 42 • Started Thursday, November 21, 2013 4:15:08 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

harrisoni
beers 25350 º places 68 º 04:09 Sat 4/12/2014

Got up before dawn and made a Vienna Lager base (lager malt amber malt and caramalt) but as I can’t control my fermentation temperature to be low enough i have used SO5 yeast. Tasted lovely going into the fermenter. Sweet biscuit and herby hop. Used Perle for bitterness and hersbrucker for aroma. Will dry hop with more hersbrucker later. Did my first ever continuous sparge too. Lots of firsts for me today. First time with lager malt first brew with German hops. Quite excited to see if it works out.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 06:05 Sat 4/12/2014

Gonna be rebrewing my Prussian Pilsner. All bestmalz pilsner malt and all Marynka hops, to about 4ibus, step mash. First batch ended up fantastic. Gonna try and actually keep it lagering until it hits 8 weeks this time...

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 06:06 Sat 4/12/2014

Oh, and using a new yeast, Wyeast Hellabock. Probably make a mead as well..

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 07:19 Sat 4/12/2014

Double brew day yesterday. Made the Urban Chestnut Hopfen clone from Stan’s Hops book which is a "bavarian ipa" lots of hallertau hops used. Also made a Saison - 1.046, 3711 yeast, a healthy dose of styrian, EKG, and Saaz, and will dry hop with some EKG and Saaz. Both are fermenting away on the cool side (low 60s).

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 08:57 Sat 4/12/2014

Bottling a strong chocolate and vanilla porter, which is not normally the sort of thing I brew (it’s 10% and finished at 1.030), so interested to try it.

Also bottling a pretty mental saison that ended up containing smoked wheat malt, pandan leaves, curry leaves, kafir lime leaves, coconut and a fair bit of pineapple. Smelling pretty great in the fermenter, but I’ll be very interested in finding out what it tastes like carbonated.

If I can get is past the old ball-and-chain, I might also brew a 100% brett trois beer I’ve been planning, with some wheat, some oats and a wine barrel finish (some untoasted oak soaked in something: either something sweet, like a Sauternes or Monbazillac, or maybe a Sancerre or even an Alsatian Riesling). It’ll probably be dry-hopped a little too, but I’ll wait until I decide the wine finish before I pick a variety.

Bacterial
beers 3140 º places 134 º 09:12 Sat 4/12/2014

Kegged up a pale ale extract kit that was sitting in secondary on some meyer lemons and kumquats for 2 weeks. Tastes really nice, looking forward to getting it carbed up.

Took a gravity and tasted a blueberry maple mead that was back sweetened a few months ago with some honey, maple syrup and blueberry juice. Gravity was 1.024 and tastes really nice! Maybe a bit light on the blueberry, but its a very nice color and has good maple character.

Will transfer a massive RIS from primary into secondary soon. BCBS clone that will age on oak cubes soaked in smoked maple bourbon. Now that the snow has melted in Minnesota, gotta start getting stocked up and ready for the Fall. Winter is coming.

temporrari
beers 400 º places 12 º 21:18 Sat 4/12/2014

Porter. Briess 2-row, a good amount of Munich 10, Crystal 120, Chocolate Malt, Black Malt, flaked barley, Nugget hops to bitter (the sole hop addition), S-04. I also transferred a Citra IPA and started the dry hop. Got that one down to 1.008 as I was hoping. Sample tasted quite nice. Homebrewing is just the best.

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 21:28 Sat 4/12/2014

Today, I took a very, very small role in a large 85 gallon batch with my local homebrewers’ club that made a 100% brett fermented golden ale, some of which will be aged in white wine barrels.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 22:35 Wed 4/16/2014

Brewing a Mosaic pale ale on Saturday

piscator34
beers 3672 º places 75 º 05:57 Thu 4/17/2014

SMaSH this weekend with Maris Otter and Legacy hops. First time brewing with Legacy.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer