Brewing this weekend

Reads 3449 • Replies 56 • Started Sunday, February 23, 2014 11:06:18 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

temporrari
beers 400 º places 12 º 17:50 Sat 3/15/2014

Made a real simple brew today, my first since November. Just 2-row, Columbus to bitter, and some late Pacifica additions, my first time trying them out. Will dry hop with them as well. 1.048 fermenting with US-05 and shooting for 1.006.

HornyDevil
13:11 Sun 3/16/2014

Originally posted by CLevar
but HD can feel free to tell me now how that (and the souring bugs) is going to destroy a recipe

Now why would I ever do that? BTW, although there are historical examples, smoke and sour are pretty gross. Smoke and saison? I guess it can be done, but why? A highly attenuated, peppery, smoky beer? Yeah, no thanks.

No brewing this weekend for me. Just racked a DIPA onto the first of two, week-long, 3 oz. Citra dry-hops.

CLevar
places 23 º 14:59 Sun 3/16/2014

Originally posted by HornyDevil
but HD can feel free to tell me now how that (and the souring bugs) is going to destroy a recipe

Now why would I ever do that? BTW, although there are historical examples, smoke and sour are pretty gross. Smoke and saison? I guess it can be done, but why?

Because I want to rustle your jimmies, and because I have other, more traditional saisons currently fermenting and wanted something different, and because smoke has been scratching a beer itch for me lately.

Seems like this beer is going to be 3 for 3.

HornyDevil
16:04 Sun 3/16/2014

Originally posted by HornyDevil

Now why would I ever do that? BTW, although there are historical examples, smoke and sour are pretty gross. Smoke and saison? I guess it can be done, but why?

Because I want to rustle your jimmies, and because I have other, more traditional saisons currently fermenting and wanted something different, and because smoke has been scratching a beer itch for me lately.

Seems like this beer is going to be 3 for 3.

Well played, sir. Well played.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 21:47 Sun 3/16/2014

The BoPils has been put to bed in the lager fridge. I’m kinda excited to see how it turns out. Wish it finished as fast as an ale.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 02:10 Mon 3/17/2014

Just found out that a local cooper has a large range of barrels which they chop up and are happy to give bits to homebrewers. Apparently there are all kinds of barrel, including things like 50 year old whisky. The barrels also seem to often have quite a lot of spirit left in them (as much as a couple of gallons), which the guys working there aren’t interested in (they just let it pour on the floor). So I think I’ll bring a jug too.

So I’ll probably brew something that would be good in a range of barrels. Maybe a barley wine or an imperial stout. Exciting.

ekoerper
beers 599 º places 39 º 12:52 Sat 3/22/2014

Just wrapped up a saison. Was shooting for a 12 gallon batch (10 finished), but efficiency was higher than usual, so ended up with a couple of extra gallons. OG ~1.039, 5.5 gal on 3711, 5.5 gal on 3724, 2 gal on Brett Trois (for the hell of it). Pacific Jade and Motueka hops (all late/whirlpool) for estimated IBU of ~32. Grist was ~70% pils with the remainder split between malted wheat and oats with a bit of acidulated for pH adjustment. Looking forward to the direct comparison between 3711 and 3724.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 14:37 Sat 3/22/2014

Working on a Belgian speciale with habaneros for next weekend. Want to use the Bastogne yeast while in season and do a moderately malty/hoppy amber with habanero added after fermentation.

CLevar
places 23 º 19:03 Sat 3/22/2014

Going to be finishing off 2bbls of peated old ale with MatSciGuy tomorrow. We will be putting into a barrel sometime next weekend.

Cliff
beers 355 º places 72 º 09:03 Mon 3/24/2014

Originally posted by Cliff
Vienna lager. Equal parts vienna and munich with a bit of pils. Giving dry lager yeast a shot for the first time.

Just finished the diacetyl rest and will crash this week and rack on Sunday. Will probably brew an all Columbus IPL and pitch it on the yeast cake.

The Vienna smells nice but I felt the dry lager yeast really lagged getting started and struggled under 50F. Once I warmed up the fermenter a couple of degrees it took off.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer