RateBeer

Brewing with Citra for the first time

read 7805 times • 38 replies •

Thread Frozen

Gazza
beers 726 º places 163 º 05:29 Sat 11/10/2012

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Warrior makes a fine bittering hop for such beers IME, too.

Warrior is a great bittering hop, agreed. Forgot about it as itís not that easy to get over here.

Gazza
beers 726 º places 163 º 05:38 Sat 11/10/2012

Originally posted by harrisoni
OK, so I would have not used Crystal but the homebrew shop was out of caramalt. But itís only 500g out of 5kilos

Thatís still 10%, way too much. Honestly, itíll just dull the superb tropical fruit...

Caramalt is OK, but do you really need it? IMO no. But itís your beer!

harrisoni
premium
beers 15319 º places 27 º 05:44 Sat 11/10/2012

Iíd love to use Warrior or Magnum, but I canít get them on a regular basis from the home brew shop. I can get Magnum from Canterbury, but only when a certain brewer is there.

Next time Iíll just use a little wheat malt as suggested and no Crystal.

harrisoni
premium
beers 15319 º places 27 º 05:45 Sat 11/10/2012

Just waiting for the beer to drop in temp before I pitch the yeast.

Time for a Steel City beer just for Gazza.

Gazza
beers 726 º places 163 º 06:01 Sat 11/10/2012

Might be worth having a word with Ang, maybe he can get you some? Once Hopcraft is going sure I can find a bit of spare Magnum or Warrior for you...

harrisoni
premium
beers 15319 º places 27 º 06:15 Sat 11/10/2012

Well it smells hoppy as hell, the yeast is in and I canít wait for about 4 weeks time when I can taste it. (obviously I will be tasting it in between, but it should be properly ready in bottle by then).

Rosebud butternuts
beers 2396 º places 37 º 06:23 Sat 11/10/2012

Originally posted by Gazza
Originally posted by harrisoni
OK, so I would have not used Crystal but the homebrew shop was out of caramalt. But itís only 500g out of 5kilos

Thatís still 10%, way too much. Honestly, itíll just dull the superb tropical fruit...

Caramalt is OK, but do you really need it? IMO no. But itís your beer!

I agree with this....anytime that I want the hops to be the showcase of the beer I always keep the malt bill plain and simple. Normally just a base malt; unless I want to add a little color then I will throw in a minuscule amount of 40L or 60L.

Phil
premium
beers 181 º places 33 º 07:21 Sat 11/10/2012

Ian, Iíll get you some Magnum or Herkules, (maybe some Warrior) - freeze them and youíll be good for a while.

harrisoni
premium
beers 15319 º places 27 º 08:03 Sat 11/10/2012

Originally posted by Phil
Ian, Iíll get you some Magnum or Herkules, (maybe some Warrior) - freeze them and youíll be good for a while.

Thanks Phil, it would be good to catch up

Erlangernick
beers 1 º places 2 º 05:41 Sun 11/11/2012

Got some Warrior for free from the fine folks at the USA Hops stand at the Nuremberger Brau-Beviale trade fair last year. Okay, it was only pellets, but Iím not above using pellets for *bittering*.

Iíll have to twitter some photos of the various hop stands there Tuesday.

This all reminds me...need to order me some more hops. Chinook, Centennial, and Citra. Or maybe just the first two, Iíve kind of gone off Citra a bit recently.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer