RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Brewing with Citra for the first time

read 6259 times • 38 replies • posted 11/9/2012 10:13:20 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

premium
SamGamgee 2452:182
What color is the crystal? Caramalt is just a 30-37L crystal malt (if itís Simpsons that you are talking about, at least). We use it in IPAs to very good effect, but at a very low amount, like 1-3% of total. 10% is way to high for any specialty malt in a pale ale as far as Iím concerned. If youíve got some good pale malt (especially of its a darker color like maris otter can be) you dont really need any, but it can still be fine at low levels. Just depends on the flavor that you are going for.
11/11/2012 9:12:06 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
cgarvieuk 14543:150
Originally posted by Gazza
Donít use the crystal, itíll ruin the hops - taste 95% of US IPAís to see that. All you need is low-colour Maris Otter and a bit of wheat malt.

yeah no Crystal please and id like a bottle :-)
11/11/2012 9:17:00 AM

premium
harrisoni 13793:22
Its certainly the best aroma of a beer i have brewed (all of 7) 36 hours in. Really interested to see what the crystal does to the beer. yes i know the advice is against it but sometimes you have to do something to know why not too. still got 50g of citra for the dry hopping.
11/11/2012 10:11:18 AM

premium
harrisoni 13793:22
Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Donít use the crystal, itíll ruin the hops - taste 95% of US IPAís to see that. All you need is low-colour Maris Otter and a bit of wheat malt.

only if its any good.
11/11/2012 10:12:06 AM

premium
cgarvieuk 14543:150
Originally posted by harrisoni

only if its any good.

i can live with that :-) bit its more likly yo be good without Crystal malt, im more and more convinced that 90% of what i dont like in American IPAs is the crstal
11/11/2012 10:38:26 AM

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
OK, so I would have not used Crystal but the homebrew shop was out of caramalt. But itís only 500g out of 5kilos

Thatís still 10%, way too much. Honestly, itíll just dull the superb tropical fruit...

Caramalt is OK, but do you really need it? IMO no. But itís your beer!

OH, GAWD! Not another Crystal vs Caramel thread. Crystal IS a Caramel malt.
11/11/2012 2:27:22 PM

Erlangernick 1:2

only if its any good.

i can live with that :-) bit its more likly yo be good without Crystal malt, im more and more convinced that 90% of what i dont like in American IPAs is the crstal

I think we have SNCA to thank for the epidemic of ill-designed American IPAs. Anchor, OTOH were on to something when they made the original A(I)PA without significant dark malts.
11/11/2012 11:46:34 PM

Gazza 726:163
Originally posted by bitbucket
OH, GAWD! Not another Crystal vs Caramel thread. Crystal IS a Caramel malt.

It is, but the flavour profiles of cara v crystal are totally different. Cara is 25EBC (Fawcetts is, anyhow) whilst most Crystal malts are 130EBC. Cara gives body and a hint of flavour whereas crystal gives toffee, caramel and ruins hop character.

As has been said, with UK Maris Otter you just donít need the extra flavour from darker malts although itís down to the specs of the beer as to what flavour is required.
11/12/2012 4:52:42 AM

premium
joeneugs 3263:148
A little Munich works well in place of crystal malt if you want a bit more malt complexity without making it too sweet. 10% or less though.
11/12/2012 7:04:36 AM

Gazza 726:163
If you need body and malt flavour then Iíd stick in 5-10% Weyermann Melanoidin, does the trick and no toffee flavours.

Itís magic!!!

(Well, not really, but I love the stuff. And you can eat it).
11/12/2012 7:23:38 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add