Bring beer as a checked bag on an Airplane

Reads 1156 • Replies 18 • Started Friday, August 15, 2014 3:35:46 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

bytemesis
beers 15304 º places 1595 º 17:06 Fri 8/15/2014

I have done styro and pulp paper shippers on several airlines. No problems yet, although southwest was the most anal and made me open it to confirm it really was a shipper and was bagged. I argued for a good ten minutes before they agreed to check it in. That was in Burbank.

I have also wrapped many bottles in clothes in suitcases. No breaks yet. The suitcases regularly get searched by tsa, but no problems yet.

Ontbeertaster
beers 2360 º places 159 º 17:26 Fri 8/15/2014

Sounds like southwest could be the worst, but im gonna try it out anyways, sounds like it will work overall. Thanks all

johnng
18:34 Fri 8/15/2014

I always load up to 49 pounds in my checked bag--weigh it out first, if it is over 50 lbs. you will be charged a shitload extra. Bag the beers in ziplocks and wrap your dirty laundry around it--no worries..never had a broken bottle...

iworkforwine
19:51 Fri 8/15/2014

Yes. I have done it with wine and with beer. IN a styro shipper. Both as a stand alone checked "bag" and within my larger suitcase. Although the larger suitcase only holds a 6-pack styro.
Most recently I flew with both. Took a couple of our wines + Pliny to the east coast. Returned with 12 Heady, and 7 other bottles of beer. NO problems!

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 20:01 Fri 8/15/2014

I asked them (Southwest) straight up what the best way to check in vintage beer would be. The lady at the counter said that TSA recommends 3M Self-Sealing Wine Bubble Sleeves.

The first time I checked in a box, they were all in 3M bubbles sleeves...and I told the counter person EXACTLY what was in the box and how I packaged it. With a wide-eyed look, she simply said "You won’t have a problem".

Since then, I have used what 3M bubble sleeves that I have, but have just bubble wrapped the rest and used plenty of stuffing. Still, I tell them it’s all in 3M bubble sleeves.

I have never had an issue.

dmac
beers 6644 º places 35 º 20:26 Fri 8/15/2014

I did a prepaid checked bag with Spirit from AC to Orlando(yes Disney). I did all Oskar Blues cans, a mix of Ten Fidy and Deviant Dales packed 3 together in ziplock bags. All brand new cans that were dent free. I weighed the bag before I checked in, I believe Spirit is 45lbs, but whatever the weight I was under. Well upon getting to Disney there was an "exception" with that one bag. They delivered the bag on a luggage cart dripping with liquid and wrapped in garbage bags. After rinsing and unpacking all the packages it appeared that only one car broke, HOWEVER EVERY SIGLE CAN WAS DENTED LIKE A GORILLA JUMPED ON IT FOR A FEW HOURS, translation...fuck Spirits bag handlers. There is no possible way that these cans were this dented unless they were purposley slammed down time and time again to make them break. Pack cautiously my friend.

SHIG
admin
beers 13063 º places 502 º 20:31 Fri 8/15/2014

This is what I have:
http://imgur.com/PZ3MwlE

bgburdman9
beers 861 º places 25 º 20:33 Fri 8/15/2014

I checked a 12 bottle styro shipper with wine/beer from San Fran with no issues at all. Be sure that any beer you pack is overly padded. I saw a lady literally throwing bags on to the conveyor belt with force right in front of everyone, I cant imagine what is done when you cant see your bag.