RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Non-US | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Bringing beer in luggage through Iceland

read 1341 times • 13 replies • posted 6/14/2012 1:01:25 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
adnielsen 9449:422
Hope someone can help me out. Iíll be visiting Iceland next week for a couple of days and will be arriving with two suitcases full of beer to share later on my trip in continental Europe. Iíve done some searching on entering Iceland with beer but itís vague if I can have 6 liters or 12 liters. Either way, Iíll have more than that. Should I attempt to go through customs without declaring the beer?

Iíll be continuing on to Germany after a couple of days in Iceland. Again, should I just not declare the beer and attempt to go through customs? I imagine that Iíll have around 30 bottles of beer that adds up to maybe 20 liters.

Any info would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Aaron
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
KnutAlbert 6267:303
Iíd take the chance and just go through customs. Or beer mail Haukur.
6/19/2012 12:59:35 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
jackl 4920:446
Originally posted by adnielsen
Should I attempt to go through customs without declaring the beer?

Yes.
6/19/2012 1:05:38 AM

premium
HenrikSoegaard 10771:325
Try to email WinterCoat in Denmark. The brewers wife Disa Fink is icelandic/californian and knows the local habits in Iceland.
Hope someone can help me out. Iíll be visiting Iceland next week for a couple of days and will be arriving with two suitcases full of beer to share later on my trip in continental Europe. Iíve done some searching on entering Iceland with beer but itís vague if I can have 6 liters or 12 liters. Either way, Iíll have more than that. Should I attempt to go through customs without declaring the beer?

Iíll be continuing on to Germany after a couple of days in Iceland. Again, should I just not declare the beer and attempt to go through customs? I imagine that Iíll have around 30 bottles of beer that adds up to maybe 20 liters.

Any info would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Aaron
6/19/2012 2:21:48 AM

premium
coldbrewky 1457:71
Originally posted by jackl
Should I attempt to go through customs without declaring the beer?

Yes.

NO!
6/19/2012 4:19:58 AM

premium
fiulijn 15217:604
I imagine that Iíll have around 30 bottles of beer that adds up to maybe 20 liters.

This is a mighty baggage!
6/19/2012 6:21:19 AM

premium
GT2 8741:613
You donít need to declare it, they are gifts, not for resale. And if there real value is not over $2,000 you usually donít declare it regardless.
6/19/2012 6:37:35 AM

galttfwo
I would declare it, but not specify how much. I have brought a lot of alcohol through customs and no one has ever counted bottles/liters. Iceland security is crazy though. ( or was last time I went through).

While you are in Iceland, try Lava by ÷lvisholt. Damn good stout.
6/19/2012 7:38:27 AM

premium
Thanks for the responses. I think I am going to do a little more research. Normally, I would just walk through customs without anything declared, but Iceland seems like it may be more strict.
6/19/2012 9:31:37 AM

premium
I am also nervous that I am going to stick out like a sore thumb in the "no declarations" lane with three suitcases.
6/19/2012 9:37:13 AM

premium
fiulijn 15217:604
If I understand correctly (link) there is a limit when entering "Europe" from Iceland.
If that is true (TBC), you will have a limit of 2 liters of beer or wine when entering Germany.

Since many countries are quite relaxed about that (I know by experience Switzerland and Denmark very well, but I also crossed German customs many times), I would suggest:
- if there is no officer at the customs, just walk through; red gate and green gate are just next to each other and in Frankfurt airport often there is nobody
- if there is an officer, stop, with the most innocent face you can put, and tell them you have about 20 liters of beer with you; when I do so in Switzerland, they always smile and let me go with an "enjoy it"; the worst that it can happen in this case is that you will have to pay a (fair?) tax

Good to know as example: in Denmark, home of the Carlsberg piss, there is a limit on wine and liquor at the airport, but not beer (they probably think beer is always <5% ABV, and you wonít spend time telling them that your Triple Iced Barley Wine is stronger than wine).
6/19/2012 10:23:20 AM

Home > Forums > Non-US

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers