British "Pale & ’Oppy" Predating "Session IPA" by Decades

Reads 5932 • Replies 95 • Started Friday, November 20, 2015 5:43:51 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 17:19 Fri 11/20/2015

Pretty sure joet just broke the backboard on this debate. Did we really need another thread on this tired topic? This one done?

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 17:28 Fri 11/20/2015

Originally posted by DietPepsican
Pretty sure joet just broke the backboard on this debate. Did we really need another thread on this tired topic? This one done?

It wasn’t finished until you’d got in a passive-aggressive post with your admin hat on.

Now it’s done.

ContemplateBeer
beers 2092 º places 154 º 17:57 Fri 11/20/2015

Pickles. It is finished!

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 18:05 Fri 11/20/2015

Originally posted by GarethYoung
Originally posted by DietPepsican

It wasn’t finished until you’d got in a passive-aggressive post with your admin hat on.

Now it’s done.

sloth
beers 3473 º places 102 º 18:10 Fri 11/20/2015

DrunkSanta410
beers 993 º places 71 º 19:02 Fri 11/20/2015

Originally posted by BlackHaddock
Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by TheAlum
Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
Originally posted by blipp
The first Session IPA was brewed in Mesopotamia thousands of years ago. Brits just stole that.

Things Britain has stolen:

Rosette Stone from Egypt
Elgin Marbles from Greece
Kohinoor Diamond from India.

No mention of Session Ipa and no mention of anything from the U.S.A. Probably because they had nothing of historical value to steal.

Britain has an entire museum full of things they stole.. #justsayen

Pretty cool museum even if it should be embarrassing.

Had we known there was oil under Texas: the American War of Independence may well have gone a very different way!

<*))))))><

Come and take it.

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 21:06 Fri 11/20/2015

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 04:16 Sat 11/21/2015

Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by joet
The examples I have tried are not just less hopped but also lower in alcohol and most notably very low in dissolved CO2. Absolutely no one HERE would mistake one of these beers for a modern American Pale Ale or Session IPA.

... I accept that the examples of UK Golden/Blond ales you have tried aren’t like Session IPAs that you have tried. However, for some of us, we have tried UK Golden/Blond ales that taste like Session IPAs we have tried. And the UK ones were around for many years before Session IPA came around. Again I don’t mind the Session IPA style. It’s fine. I just think there may be a gap in your experience. We can’t all know everything or have experienced everything. ...

Excellent way of putting it, I couldn’t agree more.

Lots of fun hyperbole in the interim.

EdKing
beers 3662 º places 307 º 04:44 Sat 11/21/2015

It is a bit of a tired debate.

The American craft beer scene likes to come up with ’new’ labels for stuff. Imperial Porter is my bugbear. I just treat it like American Football. Let them do things their way. As long as the rest of the world can ignore it, who cares?

For the first time I’m starting to see a shelf life on overly hopped beers and super charged impy stouts. I’m already bored of them and find myself drinking more and more well balanced, subtle old world style beers, whether from the home countries or American brewers.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 04:54 Sat 11/21/2015

Originally posted by EdKing
It is a bit of a tired debate....

Wasn’t really meant to be a debate when I brought it up. Rather, a history lesson. The article’s obviously written for an American audience, in an American mag.

There were low-gravity cask-conditioned, well-hopped pale (very) ales in the UK long before "session IPA" was hit upon by American keg brewers. That’s it. Not whether one inspired the other or not.

Hope people have actually read the article.