RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Brits and American beers

read 1960 times • 61 replies • posted 6/11/2013 3:39:06 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

premium
BlackHaddock 4009:371
Originally posted by InvalidStout
Older people prefer not to visit rogue terrorist states on holiday, perhaps.

Yeah, itís safer to walk around Kabul and Beirut these days than it is in a lot of US cities.

<*))))))><
6/11/2013 11:56:57 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Originally posted by hopbomber
It isnít the case nobody gave a hoot, we simply couldnít get the good beers until fairly recently and even now it is difficult to get great USA offerings. It is true that under 40ís have embraced them as they are more in your face heavy hop roller coaster of a brew and thatís not even the ipa. Admittedly when I first discovered US beers I went crazy buying loads now although I still regularly drink them if American beer vanished off the market I wouldnít care. American beer lacks the sophistication of Belgian.
Furthermore, supermarkets do not stock American beers they have GI ipa, Sierra Nevada pale ale and blue moon hardly extensive is it?

We didnít know most of those US beers existed before the internet and you never saw a single US beer on a normal UK supermarket shelf before 2008: even Coors Blue Moon is American, which was my point.

I would agree with your statement about sophistication: but the new US brewers are trying to push boundaries and cross-fertilize ingredients, theyíll calm down in the next 20 years or so.

<*))))))><
6/12/2013 12:07:28 AM

premium
cgarvieuk 14912:150
Originally posted by BlackHaddock
We didnít know most of those US beers existed before the internet and you never saw a single US beer on a normal UK supermarket shelf before 2008: even Coors Blue Moon is American, which was my point.

Wrong. Sainburies had Rogue way back abour 2000, and i dint buy them as they were about £6(from memory) a (bommer)bottle which was an insane amount back them.

Mind you this memory is at odds with http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/new-beers-at-sainsburys_35977.htm
Which places them in Sainburies in 2005, but again before 2008
I wonder if they made 2 appearances

then in 2003 DFH had WWS, and Raison díetre in Safeways

Both of which id class as normal supermarkets
6/12/2013 12:17:52 AM

premium
RichTheVillan 3298:52
Iíve not been into decent beer for about 3 years, Iím 40 next year so fall into the OP category. I was drawn to American through Ratebeer, simply because my favourite style was hoppy IPAís.

The top of RB for this style of beer is America so I seeked out these beerís. Laterly Iíve really got into Impy Stouts which America also do well.
6/12/2013 12:19:44 AM

premium
Originally posted by cgarvieuk

Wrong. Sainburies had Rogue way back abour 2000, and i dint buy them as they were about £6(from memory) a (bommer)bottle which was an insane amount back them.

Mind you this memory is at odds with http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/new-beers-at-sainsburys_35977.htm

I stand corrected: but I donít think they came to any Shropshire branches of said supermarkets (not that I was looking for them).

<*))))))><
6/12/2013 12:24:53 AM

premium
imdownthepub 10567:522
I am a fan of good American beers, but not of crap American beers. The States gave the rest of us a good kick up the backside, beer wise, in the late 1990ís early 2000ís and we are all now reaping the benefit, unless you live in Germany possibly. They still produce a lot of rubbish though as well.
6/12/2013 12:36:47 AM

hopbomber 102:32
Slightly off topic but the supermarkets have definitely got worse since the first craft beer craze (Belgian late 90ís early 00ís), asda used to sell some Trappist now they just sell garbage, sainsburys not much better brewdog GI and duvel and tesco have chimay and sn torpedo. I suppose they take up shelf space and few people buy them.

Back to original question USA beers are in fashion at the moment in the uk just like Belgians used to be or vodka was and now itís all gin saloon. American beer will take a back seat in a few years once the hopheads curb their addiction and get bored of hop bombs.
6/12/2013 12:38:44 AM

premium
cgarvieuk 14912:150
Originally posted by cgarvieuk

I stand corrected: but I donít think they came to any Shropshire branches of said supermarkets (not that I was looking for them).

<*))))))><

I didnt know Rogue was American till several years later.
All i saw were big bottles that were considerable dearer than anythign else.

6/12/2013 12:50:42 AM

premium
madmitch76 15782:143
The playing field has levelled considerably over the last 3 years or so. European brewers discovering life beyond Fuggles and embracing barrelling and the like. That said if I could persuade the missus to take a West Coast holiday - I would!

6/12/2013 1:01:24 AM

premium
Originally posted by madmitch76
That said if I could persuade the missus to take a West Coast holiday - I would!

I was in San Fransisco during Feb and I got bored with over hopped brews: couldnít wait to get home and have a proper pint! Having said that 21st Ammendment were having a íStrong Beer Monthí and they had some maltier brews on tap.

<*))))))><
6/12/2013 1:32:44 AM

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback