RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Brits and American beers

read 1886 times • 61 replies • posted 6/11/2013 3:39:06 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

premium
Theydon_Bois 7935:605
Originally posted by Leighton
Originally posted by BlackHaddock
Some good bits in this thread: any UK based Ratebeer drinkers hit all 51? states?

27 is my total: I know some are well up on that.

<*))))))><

Iíve had 45.

And the 6 you havenít rated are 6 of the 7 Iíve got no memory of having had !

6/13/2013 3:05:58 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Gary 1336:3
in 2003 Safeway had in their stock a range of pretty interesting and daring (for the time) range of American beerz..Alaskan Smoked Porter. Anchor Liberty . Goose Island and of course Dogfish Head WWS 21% for 7.99 a bottle..id never had anything like these beers before..I was 21 and had recently started trying real ale and had sampled some of the Trappits..but recall how vibrant these American beers were in contrast to the often safe UK beers id expereinced...from the bold characters of the beers to the slick bottle sizes . There was a sense of something trendy ,fresh and of course quality to the American micros was there-I came on ratebeer in 2004 with my original now defunct account and straight away it felt like the American micro scene was a movement and culture that was exciting and would influence the world scene ..
6/13/2013 11:45:08 PM

premium
madmitch76 14454:133
Iím missing Iowa, North and South Dakota, Washington DC and Wes5 Virginia. Iím guessing these are nit uncommon wants?
6/14/2013 1:18:58 AM

premium
BlackHaddock 3491:314
Originally posted by madmitch76
Iím missing Iowa, North and South Dakota, Washington DC and Wes5 Virginia. Iím guessing these are nit uncommon wants?

Yip, they are also un-ticked by me (but so are 19 others!).

<*))))))><
6/14/2013 1:26:07 AM

premium
cgarvieuk 14025:150

im missing
Louisiana
Mississippi
Tennessee

So if anyone can help :-)

Sadly ken i had 4 DC ones about this time last year, but it looks like ive had them all at tastings.
Sorry.
6/14/2013 1:39:03 AM

premium
Theydon_Bois 7935:605
Originally posted by cgarvieuk

im missing
Louisiana
Mississippi
Tennessee

So if anyone can help :-)

Sadly ken i had 4 DC ones about this time last year, but it looks like ive had them all at tastings.
Sorry.

Abita is the easy to get Louisiana - purple haze IIRC pops up on the east coast. Had it but not rated. Tennessee - I visited on my first trip to the US so did a few brew pubs there (obviously no ratings back then). Mississippi - we drove through but didnít stop. No memories of ever seeing a beer from there !
6/14/2013 1:50:09 AM

premium
cgarvieuk 14025:150
well i can but hope :-) I just need 2 of the 3 for my platinum award
6/14/2013 2:07:28 AM

premium
RichardW 1457:36
Been into beer since about 18 (Iím 42 now...) and remember Rogue, Harpoon & Peteís Wicked Ale being available in Rehills, Newcastle around the very tail end of the 90s/early 2000s. yeah, they seemed pricey, but i enjoyed them. At the time I was pub managing and then working for Mordue, so didnít need to buy much beer!

My first trip to the US was Florida, in 2004 and, although Orlando is not known for its massive beer choice, I was introduced to Shipyard and a couple of others. By now, I was out of the beer industry and becoming very aware of the US beer boom. Rehills had started stocking Anchor, SN, GI etc and my honeymoon in 2006 to SF, Vegas and Anaheim saw me really appreciate what was out there.

Been a bit obsessed with US beer ever since and have probably spent too much on them over the years. Iíve reined it in a bit lately, difficult to justify £15 for a 650/750ml bottle, on the likes of Beers of Europe etc., although a few of us do have the occasional get together and split the costs between us.
6/14/2013 3:16:19 AM

premium
chriso 7347:368
Sorry.

Are there some production breweries in DC now? DC always used to be tough as there were only brewpubs so you had to visit to get the DC tick.
6/14/2013 4:00:02 AM

premium
Leighton 10512:574
Originally posted by chriso
Sorry.

Are there some production breweries in DC now? DC always used to be tough as there were only brewpubs so you had to visit to get the DC tick.

DC Brau, I think.
6/14/2013 4:03:12 AM

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback