RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Brits and American beers

read 1924 times • 61 replies • posted 6/11/2013 3:39:06 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

premium
harrisoni 13711:21
Originally posted by BlackHaddock
I think the Brits with the biggest ratings of US beers are all under 40 years of age.

Today they are all the rage for some, but mostly only the younger set: a beer holiday for an over 40 is to Germany or Belgium, so many younger íbeer huntersí now visit the US rather than stay in Europe. Even bog standard supermarkets are stocking American bottles these days.

Agree or disagree?

<*))))))><

Iím over 40 and am in the top UK raters for the USA. So I disagree on that part.

Iím still planning on going back to the States for holidays over the next 5 years, Boston, Chicago, Portland Oregon, San Diego so no it isnít just the younger set who go to the USA.

Yes, I am over 40 and my next 3 trips will be Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands. So yes over 40s go to Europe too.

Iíve never really differentiated between the old and new world, I only differentiate between beer I like and beer I donít like. Portland, Oregon still rates as the third best beer city Iíve ever been to. Although London is starting to push that slot now.

So overall, no I donít agree with your premise, but hey, I donít think itís worth losing sleep over.

And I blame Duff for giving me my first taste of an American DIPA in the form of Avery Maharaja. Iíd never had anything, ANYTHING like it before.
6/14/2013 5:08:48 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
BlackHaddock 3763:338
Originally posted by harrisoni
I think the Brits with the biggest ratings of US beers are all under 40 years of age.

Today they are all the rage for some, but mostly only the younger set: a beer holiday for an over 40 is to Germany or Belgium, so many younger íbeer huntersí now visit the US rather than stay in Europe. Even bog standard supermarkets are stocking American bottles these days.

Agree or disagree?

<*))))))><

Iím over 40 and am in the top UK raters for the USA. So I disagree on that part.

Iím still planning on going back to the States for holidays over the next 5 years, Boston, Chicago, Portland Oregon, San Diego so no it isnít just the younger set who go to the USA.

Yes, I am over 40 and my next 3 trips will be Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands. So yes over 40s go to Europe too.

Iíve never really differentiated between the old and new world, I only differentiate between beer I like and beer I donít like. Portland, Oregon still rates as the third best beer city Iíve ever been to. Although London is starting to push that slot now.

So overall, no I donít agree with your premise, but hey, I donít think itís worth losing sleep over.

And I blame Duff for giving me my first taste of an American DIPA in the form of Avery Maharaja. Iíd never had anything, ANYTHING like it before.

The post was just a thought: been some interesting posts and points since the thread started, but Iím still of the opinion that CAMRA old boys donít go to the US on beer breaks (although I sort have!).

<*))))))><
6/14/2013 7:25:19 AM

DJMonarch 9159:83
The one state I am missing for a rate is West Virginia, been to 5 Denver GABFís now and not once has one appeared amongst the 2000+ beers on offer!
6/14/2013 7:40:17 AM

premium
but Iím still of the opinion that CAMRA old boys donít go to the US on beer breaks (although I sort have!).

<*))))))><

That I completely agree with. They are wrong of course.

I almost couldnít believe my eyes walking down the beer aisle in the Fred Meyer bog standard supermarket in Portland, Oregon. It had a better selection of Belgian beers than most Belgian supermarkets and the American stuff was mind blowing. I just couldnít drink it all, damn shame.

For me Iím planning on my third visit to Bamberg and second this year for September just because I love the whole thing, the beer, the old town, the beer, the cycling, the beer, the beer kellers, the beer, the friendly people, the beer, how cheap it all is, the beer, the public transport, the beer, Erlangernick, the beer, the countryside, the beer, the small breweries in the villages, the beer, the food, the beer, how small and easy it is to get around Bamberg, the beer. Did I mention the beer?
6/14/2013 1:21:26 PM

premium
but Iím still of the opinion that CAMRA old boys donít go to the US on beer breaks (although I sort have!).

<*))))))><

That I completely agree with. They are wrong of course.

I almost couldnít believe my eyes walking down the beer aisle in the Fred Meyer bog standard supermarket in Portland, Oregon. It had a better selection of Belgian beers than most Belgian supermarkets and the American stuff was mind blowing. I just couldnít drink it all, damn shame.

For me Iím planning on my third visit to Bamberg and second this year for September just because I love the whole thing, the beer, the old town, the beer, the cycling, the beer, the beer kellers, the beer, the friendly people, the beer, how cheap it all is, the beer, the public transport, the beer, Erlangernick, the beer, the countryside, the beer, the small breweries in the villages, the beer, the food, the beer, how small and easy it is to get around Bamberg, the beer. Did I mention the beer?

I love Bamberg too: been three times so far. I also love Brugge, God knows how many times Iíve been there.

As for the US: San Fran is my favourite city with Flagstaff my favourite town. I am also a CAMRA old boy!

<*))))))><
6/14/2013 2:29:31 PM

premium
Yep canít wait to meet up next month in Wolverhampton to put a face to the name and the posts. Really looking forward to it.
6/14/2013 2:45:29 PM

premium
Yep canít wait to meet up next month in Wolverhampton to put a face to the name and the posts. Really looking forward to it.

Yes, it should be a laugh, donít forget we are doing a two bottle exchange with each other as well.

I hope the weather is good so you guys can see the West Midlands at itís best: everywhere looks so much better if the sun is out.

<*))))))><

6/14/2013 3:21:23 PM

premium
Theydon_Bois 8668:620
See the West midlands at its best .... Err inside a pub then, think weíll manage that !!!
6/14/2013 3:33:30 PM

premium

Yes, it should be a laugh, donít forget we are doing a two bottle exchange with each other as well.

Donít worry, Iíve marked it on my calendar so I wonít forget. See you in 3 weeks time for some dull brown twiggy beers. Only joking, itís a trip Iíve been meaning to do for the past 5 years and never got round to. A bus full of Ratebeerians will be fun. Only other time I did something like that was around Plzen for the RBESG and that was dead good. Sat at the back with a bunch of Scandanavians all speaking a language I couldnít understand sharing cans of terrible pale lager. Hugely funny. Iím sure weíll have just a good time if not better.
6/14/2013 3:41:44 PM

premium

Donít worry, Iíve marked it on my calendar so I wonít forget. See you in 3 weeks time for some dull brown twiggy beers. Only joking, itís a trip Iíve been meaning to do for the past 5 years and never got round to. A bus full of Ratebeerians will be fun. Only other time I did something like that was around Plzen for the RBESG and that was dead good. Sat at the back with a bunch of Scandanavians all speaking a language I couldnít understand sharing cans of terrible pale lager. Hugely funny. Iím sure weíll have just a good time if not better.

Iím sure thereíll be a surprise in Sedgley for you all if you donít fancy a Mild: We can also make it an English language day too, not that I can understand Londoners and their funny twang.

<*))))))><
6/15/2013 2:19:08 AM

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback