Buckbean closing

Reads 3446 • Replies 24 • Started Friday, February 10, 2012 1:50:19 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 13:50 Fri 2/10/2012

BMan1113VR
beers 7929 º places 423 º 15:46 Fri 2/10/2012

I guess its time to try the few remaining ones I haven’t had from them. Never was a huge fan of their beer, but I hate to see a true craft brewery go out of business, especially from a state that doesn’t have too many good breweries to begin with.

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 15:53 Fri 2/10/2012

and yet the Indiana microbrewery scene is growing despite losing a few breweries along the way... (edit that Ken)

Oakes
admin
beers 30657 º places 1135 º 18:21 Fri 2/10/2012

Who is sweet shit wrote that? A brewery that started in 2008 could not possibly have been one of the first craft breweries to start using cans. I was drinking craft brew from cans in, what, the mid-90s? Fact checking is a lost art.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 19:50 Fri 2/10/2012

Anyone know how much it costs to set up a canning line? Perhaps they took on too much debt relative to income.

DYCSoccer17
beers 3746 º places 344 º 21:35 Fri 2/10/2012

I lost respect for them when they started selling intentionally infected beers to Grocery Outlet.

daknole
beers 11050 º places 464 º 21:40 Fri 2/10/2012

Not surprised. Get your Nevada ticks whole you "can".

brewtopian
beers 2 º 22:17 Fri 2/10/2012

Sadly none of the closings recently announced where particularly shocking. Some people have been marking up these closings as craft beer reaching a saturation point but I strongly disagree. These closings are the result of poor business decisions and probably limited access to operating capital.

We are no where close to saturation in this country and the Reno area most certainly wasn’t with just a couple breweries to call their own. If you compare Reno to Bend, OR for example you’ll see a city a fraction the size of Reno with more than a dozen thriving breweries and several more on the way to opening this year.

beersage
22:21 Fri 2/10/2012

Originally posted by Oakes
Who is sweet shit wrote that? A brewery that started in 2008 could not possibly have been one of the first craft breweries to start using cans. I was drinking craft brew from cans in, what, the mid-90s? Fact checking is a lost art.

Relax. Crossed out the word "first" and put "early." Craft Cans says they were around #30 to put a craft beer in cans which is early enough for me given we are at over 160 breweries now.

Oskar Blues claims to be the first craft brewer to can its beers in early 2000s. Who are these others that canned in the 90s?

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 23:30 Fri 2/10/2012

Originally posted by brewtopian
Sadly none of the closings recently announced where particularly shocking. Some people have been marking up these closings as craft beer reaching a saturation point but I strongly disagree.

I tend to be pessimistic, but I agree. The emerging breweries -- and there are lots of them still -- are opening to receptive markets, and are largely built on models that don’t rely on wild speculation.

There are also many examples, now and throughout history, of markets sustaining very rich craft brewing scenes. Yeah, brewing looks attractive to a lot of investors and hobbyists now, and many are getting into the game while it’s hot. Some will certainly go down in flames, but overall, there will probably be more sustainable growth.

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 04:44 Sat 2/11/2012

Originally posted by StefanSD
Anyone know how much it costs to set up a canning line? Perhaps they took on too much debt relative to income.

Depends on what kind of equipment you buy, but for them the costs were as follows;

Canning line: $100k
First run of cans: $30k

For 2 years, my brewery space at GABF was right next to his. I just hope the guy doesn’t lose his house.