RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Buckbean closing

read 2225 times • 24 replies • posted 2/10/2012 1:50:19 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
admin
Oakes 12777:670
Originally posted by beersage
Originally posted by Oakes
Who is sweet shit wrote that? A brewery that started in 2008 could not possibly have been one of the first craft breweries to start using cans. I was drinking craft brew from cans in, what, the mid-90s? Fact checking is a lost art.

Relax. Crossed out the word "first" and put "early." Craft Cans says they were around #30 to put a craft beer in cans which is early enough for me given we are at over 160 breweries now.

Oskar Blues claims to be the first craft brewer to can its beers in early 2000s. Who are these others that canned in the 90s?

Craft Cans? Well thereís your problem right there. A site started in 2009 that believes the world starts at and ends at the borders of the United States. They obviously donít know a thing about geography, and it doesnít sound like they were around for the history either. Not the hallmarks of a trusted source.

So before Oskar Blues?

Granville Island
Okanagan Spring
Vancouver Island
Shaftebury
Big Rock

Craft beer in cans was old news when Oskar Blues came out, at least to those who were paying attention to the industry. By the mid-90s when Oskar Blues was getting wider distribution there were over a dozen in BC, some of which were selling substantial volume in cans. I donít think anybody in 2008 could be considered an early adopter. Not for something that was going on when I was first getting into beer.
2/11/2012 6:54:33 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
StefanSD 2183:45
Originally posted by erway
Originally posted by StefanSD
Anyone know how much it costs to set up a canning line? Perhaps they took on too much debt relative to income.

Depends on what kind of equipment you buy, but for them the costs were as follows;

Canning line: $100k
First run of cans: $30k

For 2 years, my brewery space at GABF was right next to his. I just hope the guy doesnít lose his house.

Wow, thanks, Iíve wondered what that might cost. Considering you can set up a basic bottling system for under 1/10 of that this is a heavy cost on top of a lot of other necessary expenses.

I hope the brewer perseveres and finds a way to carry on.
2/11/2012 8:30:53 AM

LtDan 1784:65
Who is sweet shit wrote that? A brewery that started in 2008 could not possibly have been one of the first craft breweries to start using cans. I was drinking craft brew from cans in, what, the mid-90s? Fact checking is a lost art.

Relax. Crossed out the word "first" and put "early." Craft Cans says they were around #30 to put a craft beer in cans which is early enough for me given we are at over 160 breweries now.

Oskar Blues claims to be the first craft brewer to can its beers in early 2000s. Who are these others that canned in the 90s?

Craft Cans? Well thereís your problem right there. A site started in 2009 that believes the world starts at and ends at the borders of the United States. They obviously donít know a thing about geography, and it doesnít sound like they were around for the history either. Not the hallmarks of a trusted source.

So before Oskar Blues?

Granville Island
Okanagan Spring
Vancouver Island
Shaftebury
Big Rock

Craft beer in cans was old news when Oskar Blues came out, at least to those who were paying attention to the industry. By the mid-90s when Oskar Blues was getting wider distribution there were over a dozen in BC, some of which were selling substantial volume in cans. I donít think anybody in 2008 could be considered an early adopter. Not for something that was going on when I was first getting into beer.

Wow, I never heard of any of those breweries you listed. So I went and looked them up. If I was Oskar Blues or CraftCans, I wouldnít acknowledge them either. Their ratings look horrible, and some got bought by macros.
2/11/2012 8:40:14 AM

premium
obguthr 4025:20
Originally posted by LtDan

So before Oskar Blues?

Granville Island
Okanagan Spring
Vancouver Island
Shaftebury
Big Rock

Wow, I never heard of any of those breweries you listed. So I went and looked them up. If I was Oskar Blues or CraftCans, I wouldnít acknowledge them either. Their ratings look horrible, and some got bought by macros.

Itís what passes for craft beer with the "quality-blind" definition we use these days.
2/11/2012 4:31:16 PM

keanex 1493:57
Looking at the ratings of Buckbean it doesnít seem they produce anything worthwhile either, so itís funny to see people attack the ones that canned before them.
2/11/2012 9:45:15 PM

iowaherkeye 2695:29
Originally posted by keanex
Looking at the ratings of Buckbean it doesnít seem they produce anything worthwhile either, so itís funny to see people attack the ones that canned before them.

I didnít mind their schwarzbier.
2/11/2012 10:13:11 PM

brewtopian 2:
I knew that Buckbean couldnít be doing all that well since my three visits to Reno this past year I didnít find a single Buckbean handle anywhere in town. I tried to find the brewery using GPS and the address was either incorrect or they had relocated and not updated their map profile.

Buckbean was integral in the development and growth of "Canfest" so it will be interesting to see what comes of that festival with them departing the scene.
2/12/2012 9:23:31 AM

brewtopian 2:
Originally posted by LtDan

So before Oskar Blues?

Granville Island
Okanagan Spring
Vancouver Island
Shaftebury
Big Rock

Iíve had beers from Granville Island, Okanagan Spring and Vancouver Island and while they werenít particularly exciting they werenít bad either. Okanagan Spring is actually a pretty enjoyable session beer with quite a bit of variety. Granville Island used to make a pretty good English style IPA.
2/12/2012 9:25:37 AM

illinismitty 2270:279
Buckbean had infection issues with their Black Lager and Red Duck. That certainly did not help. That made it hard to sell for distributors. I know one who is sitting on pallets of it.

I think Buckbean is your typical case of not knowing your audience, and not knowing how to change course to adapt to your audience. Their beers (when not infected) were not horrible, but were not exciting enough to warrant a repeat purchase. And this also seemed to be the feedback from blue moon/ Killians type crowd. Therefore bars did not want any, and stores were not reordering. While they still had resources, they should have put out something to bait consumers (like Adam Avery did with Hogheaven). You can?t reel in the beer geeks or casual beer drinkers - who is left?

Still sucks to see a brewery go under. I hope the owner(s) rebound and find success again
2/12/2012 11:56:30 AM

SamGamgee 2452:182
Donít market your brewery based on packaging. Other than that... make clean beer. Sad to hear of anyone failing but there are some things that make it a lot more likely.
2/12/2012 6:52:53 PM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers