Buckwheat honey

Reads 1227 • Replies 14 • Started Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:56:49 PM CT

Thread Frozen

bitbucket
beers 2164 º places 63 º 22:08 Fri 10/19/2012

Originally posted by Unclerudy
Make sure you use enough nutrients when you do make it. And backsweeten with buckwheat honey also.

Iím curious about this. Why backsweeten with buckwheat honey, rather than clover honey or whatever?

I plan to add plenty initially, then add more incrementally.

bitbucket
beers 2164 º places 63 º 20:00 Wed 10/24/2012

Originally posted by bitbucket
Originally posted by Unclerudy
Make sure you use enough nutrients when you do make it. And backsweeten with buckwheat honey also.

Iím curious about this. Why backsweeten with buckwheat honey, rather than clover honey or whatever?

Bumpety-bump-bump-bump.

OldSock
08:25 Thu 10/25/2012

We added less than a pound (13.5 oz) of buckwheat honey to a 10 gallon batch of dark/funky saison ( http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/12/fig-honey-anise-dark-sasion.html ), and it was almost too much even after the long mixed-fermetnation. Really rustic/farmy/barnyardy. Certainly could have been the specific honey, but Iíd go easy on it to start and add more if needed.

Unclerudy
beers 12 º places 3 º 08:28 Thu 10/25/2012

If you want a 100% buckwheat mead, thats why I said it. But I normally use wildflower to backsweeten with. It just depends on your philosophy with mead making. I prefer to backsweeten, instead of overloading the yeast and leaving fermentables. That way I can make sure that I reach the alcohol level that I want, and makes sweetening easier to measure.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer