Budgeting for Akkurat

Reads 7003 • Replies 53 • Started Thursday, March 12, 2015 3:19:07 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 20:12 Thu 3/12/2015

Both Reed Gueuezes are sold out officially. Think CitizenMeow and I grabbed the last Muscat in late 2012. This is without special connections of course, but they aren’t on the menu.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 20:13 Thu 3/12/2015

Jeez. See, this is why I should have gone to Akkurat last year. Every month I wait, more of these bottles sell out.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 20:13 Thu 3/12/2015

The struggle is real.

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 20:16 Thu 3/12/2015

Närke Kaggen Laphroaig Casiss Stormaktsporter
Närke Kaggen Raspberry Stormaktsporter

were both only available as one off kegs at Borefts last year. No bottles.

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 20:17 Thu 3/12/2015

Cantillon Loerik sold out at Akkurat late 2011.

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 20:19 Thu 3/12/2015

Soleil, Konjaks! and Velomoteur should be doable but you might have to bring out big bucks for Soleil. Goldackerl was on the menu then I was there in late 2014, but expensive as hell as I said earlier.

Danko
02:36 Fri 3/13/2015

Keep in mind if you are spotted as a ticker who only order these gems for the tick chances are a lot of the bottles will be "sold out". It does not always help running a big tab, that is not what Akkurat are about.

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 03:39 Fri 3/13/2015

For the prices you have to pay for these bottles it shouldn’t matter what you do with it. Is it for the tick, to wash your car or whatever. Insane.

Danko
04:26 Fri 3/13/2015

Originally posted by Benzai
For the prices you have to pay for these bottles it shouldn’t matter what you do with it. Is it for the tick, to wash your car or whatever. Insane.

That is a common misconception. Just because something got a steep price tag does not entitle all kinds of behavior, when you’re at a pub it’s a privilege not a right and it’s up to the owner to be the judge. Having said that, prices are very reasonable at Akkurat compared to other places (Moeder Lambic Fontainas as an example).

The idea is that these beers should be available for a long time to the people who really appreciate them. Hence, someone who is mainly there to tick and even leave half empty bottles and can afford this will speed up the emptying of the cellar. Nowadays there are a lot of people who can budget ticking-sessions like these.

I’ve seen many times where people got denied certain beers that were in stock, due to this, in a lot of specialty bars worldwide. The best example was a guy at Akkurat ordering the entire bottle of Ardbeg from 1897. They said no, then he ordered 6 x 6 cl glasses of the same. Another no. How about 6 x 3 cl then? No. He was merely ordering it for bragging rights, meanwhile there’s been other people traveling far just to share 1 cl for the experience and the bottle is there for people like that.

As always, ordering some regular/local tap beer first and/or hanging out with some local ratebeerians will go a long way towards scoring the beers during the rest of the evening.

The topic can be discussed forever, I’m just trying to help out with some advice for a great experience that’s all.

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 07:10 Fri 3/13/2015

Originally posted by AdamJackson
The struggle is real.
FWIW, I enjoyed some of those special geuzes, but most were just OK for me; had I not been prodded, I would normally not travel just for specific beers.
Akkurat is a fun place (so is Pikkulintu if you make it there), Stockholm is a great city (so is Helsinki), the other bars and breweries/brewpubs are fun, many of the local beers are terrific. And it’s a great community (RB and non-RB - we drank a bottle of De Molen Black Jack with Jack himself, for instance, and he got us into some breweries after hours). So, go there to enjoy the experience, and whatever special beers you get are a bonus.