RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Food and Beer | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Butter Poached Steak

read 3167 times • 14 replies • posted 7/20/2012 6:26:07 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

kseecs16 1192:202
Anyone ever done this before, and if so how was it?

Also - what beer does one drink with what I can only imagine is going to be an incredibely rich piece of meat?
Private message Send the author a private message

HornyDevil
So . . . kinda like steak confit, but in butter instead of lard? Interesting.
7/20/2012 6:57:56 AM

Private message send the author a private message

kseecs16 1192:202
Originally posted by HornyDevil

http://www.esquire.com/features/guy-food/bone-in-top-loin-recipe-ll-0908

Hereís the recipe. I stumbled across looking for interesting ways to prepare a sirloin steak, it not being a cut Iím very familiar with.

Iíve never had steak confit, is that a thing? Iíve made duck confit numerous times, and it is delicious.
7/20/2012 7:00:55 AM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by kseecs16
Originally posted by HornyDevil

http://www.esquire.com/features/guy-food/bone-in-top-loin-recipe-ll-0908

Hereís the recipe. I stumbled across looking for interesting ways to prepare a sirloin steak, it not being a cut Iím very familiar with.

Iíve never had steak confit, is that a thing? Iíve made duck confit numerous times, and it is delicious.

All confit means is cooked in itís own fat and (traditionally) preserved that way.
7/20/2012 7:09:20 AM

brewtopian 2:
I do something similar but not poached, basted on the grill. Screaming hot grill, some melted salted butter and a brush. As the meat grills just baste it with the butter. The butter creates this great salty crust on the steak that is fantastic
7/20/2012 7:13:24 AM

502Che 999:47
Sounds awesome
7/20/2012 7:15:52 AM

PhillyBeer2112 2515:65
This may sound weird but the first beer that comes to mind is a barleywine, but not an overly hopped one, but one that has a strongly soft-fruit maltiness.
Some examples after perusing the db:
Thomas Hardyís ale
St. Ambroise Vintage Ale Millťsimťe
Harveyís Elizabethan ale
Midnight Sun M (yea right!)
Leeís Harvest ale
Traquair House ale

7/20/2012 7:50:31 AM

premium
ALLOVATE 2335:95
Confit, not to be misunderstood, means cooked in its own fat or lipids. It is not really possible to truly poach in a semi-solid such as butter. More towards a braise, but even then what is leached from the beef canít be compensated by the butter itself. The butter acts just the same as larding meat, e.g. streaky bacon wrapped beef loin.
And the loin is a very tender and lean cut, so cooking a fat is a plus. Basically that recipe, which calls for 3lbs of butter may be an overstep.
Try just a knob or two of butter and start the meat off at a very low temperature in the oven in a saucepan, well seasoned (salt and pepper are a must).
Remove, rest the meat at around 50 degrees centigrade internal. Heat up frypan with juices still in to high heat and caramelise the meat, browning well. Rest again and serve!
7/20/2012 8:05:22 AM

premium
Tibeerious 1
Actually that looks similar to a sous vide steak. You could get about the same thing by just doing a sous vide steak and pan frying in clarified butter to finish, I would think.
7/20/2012 5:16:41 PM

premium
ALLOVATE 2335:95
Originally posted by Tibeerious
Actually that looks similar to a sous vide steak. You could get about the same thing by just doing a sous vide steak and pan frying in clarified butter to finish, I would think.

Or this!
7/20/2012 5:36:34 PM

premium
HighWine 946:26
I think you need a big roasty stout like Old Rasputin or Parabola.
7/20/2012 6:48:36 PM

Home > Forums > Food and Beer

Page 1 | 2

Food, Beer Recipes

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback