RateBeer

Butter Poached Steak

read 3874 times • 14 replies •

Thread Frozen

kseecs16
beers 1213 º places 209 º 19:58 Fri 7/20/2012

Originally posted by Tibeerious
Actually that looks similar to a sous vide steak. You could get about the same thing by just doing a sous vide steak and pan frying in clarified butter to finish, I would think.

Having tried the recipe tonight (it was good but I let the butter get a little too hot so it was slightly more done than I wanted) I think you’re right. The sous vide would certainly be healthier and I think just as good.

DerWeg
beers 1563 º places 45 º 11:52 Sun 7/29/2012

Some cuts like Bavette are amazing seared in butter over cast iron, just hot-searing with meat dry at room temp and cooking it a few a side. To season I use sea salt fresh thyme and FGP.
If you butter-sear with say Flank or Flatiron, you can also finish with a short simmer in strong red wine. Bavette would get tough from that simmer.
Every cut wants different cooking!

Tibeerious
premium
places 1 º 12:47 Mon 7/30/2012

Originally posted by DerWeg
Some cuts like Bavette are amazing seared in butter over cast iron, just hot-searing with meat dry at room temp and cooking it a few a side. To season I use sea salt fresh thyme and FGP.
If you butter-sear with say Flank or Flatiron, you can also finish with a short simmer in strong red wine. Bavette would get tough from that simmer.

I would think that cast iron hot enough to sear meat would pretty much instantly burn butter.

DerWeg
beers 1563 º places 45 º 08:46 Sun 8/5/2012

Originally posted by Tibeerious
Originally posted by DerWeg

I would think that cast iron hot enough to sear meat would pretty much instantly burn butter.

Clarified butter is often recommended.