RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

California bars & breweries

read 972 times • 13 replies • posted 9/23/2012 12:35:08 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
gEUS 982:47
Hi all,
"Ce petit belge" (This little Belgian) is going to California around mid/end October.

We land at the John Wayne airport and we will roughly do the triangle LA, SF, San Diego.

Questions are fairly simple:
1. Next to Stone Brewing and The Bruery, what other crazy style brewers should I look for?
2. What about bars in these areas?
3. What are non-beer related definite must-sees in California (nature wise, culture OK but not too much, places to watch the sun setting/rising in an all-American-style

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks a lot for the tips! Looking soooo much forward to it!

Greets,
gEUS
Private message Send the author a private message

MattH 635:53
1. Green Flash, AleSmith, Port/Lost Abbey
3. Iíd suggest taking Highway 1 on your trip from LA to San Francisco. Its a beautiful scenic drive along the coast of California. It takes a little longer than the other routes, but it is worth it.
9/23/2012 1:33:56 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Forgetfu
Werner - Iím sending you a long message via email. I can help. =)
9/23/2012 3:57:17 AM

premium
jmborggren
Originally posted by Forgetfu

If you wouldnít mind, I could use some of this info as well. We are looking to rent an RV and head from San Diego to SF probably next summer.
9/23/2012 5:19:06 AM

JohnC 3000:155
How long are you going to be here for? LA/SF/SD is a very large area with lots of things to do, so your choices will depend upon how much time you have.

Since youíre landing at John Wayne, other beer places in the area worth checking out would be Beachwood and Bootleggerís.

9/23/2012 9:21:00 AM

premium
Forgetfu
Originally posted by jmborggren
Originally posted by Forgetfu

If you wouldnít mind, I could use some of this info as well. We are looking to rent an RV and head from San Diego to SF probably next summer.

Some of the california locals could probably answer the beer specific questions better than I can. Iíve been to quite a few of the places, but iíll defer to them to answer the beer specific questions.

My message to gEUS was more intended toward the fact that i know him pretty well and have introduced him to some of my california friends and offered a lot of thoughts on their vacation beyond just the beer aspects.

No matter what places you choose to stop at, youíll have a great time. There are no wrong answers to this question!

Cheers
9/23/2012 9:27:45 AM

steview 1018:20
What I would do for San Francisco: I would make San Francisco a brief stop (no more than a full day) although the weather in October should be awesome explore the bay area instead.

My favorite beer in the bay area is up north -- check the place maps, Russian River, etc. If you want a nice San Francisco treat, call up Anchor to schedule a tour and sample the beer @ anchorbrewing.com/brewery/tours

Thereís so much you can do to customize your itinerary. I would have options in mind then wing it. Maybe youíll end up in east bay, maybe youíll explore SFís neighborhood beer bars and breweries, etc.
9/23/2012 12:15:00 PM

premium
SamGamgee 2452:182
I recommend a road trip up to Big Sur on the way from LA to the Bay Area. Take 101 to 1 and youíll get the full impact of the California coast. There are also some good brewery stops on the drive.
9/23/2012 3:58:08 PM

steview 1018:20
Originally posted by SamGamgee
I recommend a road trip up to Big Sur on the way from LA to the Bay Area. Take 101 to 1 and youíll get the full impact of the California coast. There are also some good brewery stops on the drive.

Love Big Sur. Camped there last summer, went here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Pfeiffer_Burns_State_Park

You see that pic of the lagoon-ish looking area with the waterfall? Campsite was behind that waterfall. Amazing area.
9/23/2012 6:38:48 PM

premium
gEUS 982:47
Originally posted by JohnC
How long are you going to be here for? LA/SF/SD is a very large area with lots of things to do, so your choices will depend upon how much time you have.

Since youíre landing at John Wayne, other beer places in the area worth checking out would be Beachwood and Bootleggerís.

We will be there for about 15 days.

LA is not a priority at all, perhaps just a drive-through; Sunset Blvd, Hollywood - to have seen the bling bling of LA... Thatís it. Still considering Compton & LBC as well :-O.

The aim is not to make it a beer trip as such but to have a nice quality time with the girlfriend. We were thinking about heading down to the SD area first (2 days), then go up to SF by the different national p&arks (about 5-6 days), stay around SF and then come back by the coast. Beer related visits will be limited to 2 - 3 days maximum and preferably they should be on our way.

Is it imagineable to combine Lost Abbey, Stone and Alesmith in 1 day? I would like to visit them in the beginning of the trip so I can take beer to drink during our roadtrip (I will not take them home)

Thank you all already for the valuable tips. I really appreciate this!
9/24/2012 1:21:35 AM

kreinas
Coming from a California resident, L.A. isnít all itís said to be. The city itself is somewhat boring and gloomy (due to the smog). As for Compton, itís a beautiful place with a terrible reputation due to the two major gang factions there. Really, itís nothing to fear, as theyíre mostly just stupid and reckless punks killing other stupid and reckless punks. As for National Parks, I love Channel Islands. http://www.nps.gov/chis/index.htm
9/24/2012 1:35:33 AM

Home > Forums > Beer Travel

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers