RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Calypso and Legacy DIPA

read 968 times • 13 replies • posted 6/25/2012 6:33:56 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

HornyDevil
10 lbs Maris Otter
4 lbs Oats

Single infusion mash at 148F for 1 hour

2 lbs white sugar added to first runnings and reduced by 3/4ths and added to the fermenter

1.2 oz. Magnum at first boil of a 1 hour boil

9 oz. each Calypso and Legacy at 180F

Cool and pitch US05

Two 1-week dry hopping sessions with 1.5 oz each Calypso and Legacy each session

Already fermenting away as of this morning. Got melon from the Calypso. Not sure about what I got from the Legacy. Whatever it was, it seemed more herbal than the Calypso. Anxious to see what these two new-ish varietals bring to the table.

Iíll get back to you guys in two or three weeks with additional details.
Private message Send the author a private message

seymour 1473:45
Originally posted by HornyDevil
...added to first runnings and reduced by 3/4ths...

Just curious, what exactly does that mean? Just that you boiled long enough to reduce the volume?
6/25/2012 6:47:25 AM

Private message send the author a private message

HornyDevil
Originally posted by seymour
...added to first runnings and reduced by 3/4ths...

Just curious, what exactly does that mean? Just that you boiled long enough to reduce the volume?

Sorry . . . should have been more specific with this technique.

I ran off about 1.5 gallons, added the sugar to that, and then reduced that mixture.

Basically it increases malt character via kettle caramelization / Maillard reactions.
6/25/2012 7:16:27 AM

Interesting. So, you drained off 1.5 gal of first runnings, dissolved into it 2 lbs sugar and boiled until it was just a little over a gallon? Did that take more or less than 60 minutes? Separately, you sparged into a separate kettle about 4 gallons and did standard 60 min boil, then combined them both into fermenter? Do you use two burners, or does the main batch sit until youíre done with the first boil?
6/25/2012 9:15:32 AM

HornyDevil
Interesting. So, you drained off 1.5 gal of first runnings, dissolved into it 2 lbs sugar and boiled until it was just a little over a gallon?

About half a gallon.

Did that take more or less than 60 minutes?

Somewhere between 45 minutes and an hour.

Separately, you sparged into a separate kettle about 4 gallons and did standard 60 min boil, then combined them both into fermenter?

Sparged normally into a separate kettle and ended up with about 5.5 gallons post boil, but 18 oz. of hops soaked up a fair amount of that. With these beers I usually run-off a couple gallons extra to make up for the volume sucked up by the big hop additions.

Do you use two burners, or does the main batch sit until youíre done with the first boil?

I use two burners, but since I was done with the reduction before I started the main boil, you could probably do it with one.
6/25/2012 9:42:06 AM

Cool. Thanks for the detailed description. Iíve brewed many DIPAs but never exactly like that. Canít wait to hear how it turns out.
6/25/2012 11:45:56 AM

HornyDevil
Racked this beer for its second week of dry hopping on Saturday. Took a gravity reading and it is holding steady at 1.008 and it tasted quite good. If I didnít know better I would have guessed that it was Cascade and Amarillo. Gonna do a 100% Brett IPA (with dreggs from Crooked Staveís Wild Wild Brett Yellow) with the rest of the Calypso and Legacy that I have left. Should be a fun project.
7/11/2012 2:04:31 PM

premium
CLevar 13
Racked this beer for its second week of dry hopping on Saturday. Took a gravity reading and it is holding steady at 1.008 and it tasted quite good. If I didnít know better I would have guessed that it was Cascade and Amarillo. Gonna do a 100% Brett IPA (with dreggs from Crooked Staveís Wild Wild Brett Yellow) with the rest of the Calypso and Legacy that I have left. Should be a fun project.

Any idea what brett strain/s they use?
7/11/2012 3:11:54 PM

premium
BMan1113VR 7869:379
Originally posted by CLevar

Best to ask this guy: http://www.ratebeer.com/View-User-64638.htm
7/11/2012 10:15:19 PM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by CLevar

Chad uses 4 - 5 different strains in the WWB series.

Hereís a thread that discusses it from the BBB homebrew board

http://www.babblebelt.com/newboard/thread.html?tid=1108752780&th=1326031057&pg=1&tpg=1&add=1
7/12/2012 5:19:37 AM

HornyDevil
Gonna do a 100% Brett IPA (with dreggs from Crooked Staveís Wild Wild Brett Yellow) with the rest of the Calypso and Legacy that I have left. Should be a fun project.

Gonna split this batch. Base beer with just pils, oats, and a small bittering addition. After the primary, half will be bottled. The other half will get a substantial dry-hop with the Calypso and Legacy. I figure thatíll give me a good idea of what the Crooked Stave "strain" brings to the table while additionally finding out how it works with a big aroma addition.
7/16/2012 7:25:23 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add