camden twunts still at it...

Reads 4439 • Replies 64 • Started Saturday, January 31, 2015 5:54:12 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

andrew_drinks
beers 234 º places 7 º 07:19 Tue 2/3/2015

Looking in the European trademark application logs, Camden had their application trademark Hells turned down after objections from a Slovakian brewery (Stieger) and the company that markets Hella water in Germany. So maybe they can’t defend Hells as a trademark as it’s too close to Hell, Helles and, er, Hella, and that’s why they’re now pursuing Redwell over passing off?
Does anyone know if Camden would drop it if they just changed it to Redwell Hell or Helles?

Leighton
beers 33712 º places 1204 º 07:34 Tue 2/3/2015

Originally posted by andrew_drinks
Looking in the European trademark application logs, Camden had their application trademark Hells turned down after objections from a Slovakian brewery (Stieger) and the company that markets Hella water in Germany. So maybe they can’t defend Hells as a trademark as it’s too close to Hell, Helles and, er, Hella, and that’s why they’re now pursuing Redwell over passing off?
Does anyone know if Camden would drop it if they just changed it to Redwell Hell or Helles?

Quality investigative work, Andrew!

I too would love to know if this is all about the ’e’ or the ’s’.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 07:35 Tue 2/3/2015

Looking in the European trademark application logs, Camden had their application trademark Hells turned down after objections from a Slovakian brewery (Stieger) and the company that markets Hella water in Germany.

Sounds like, as I suspected, going for an EU-wide registration was a bit of a mistake then.

Shame you can’t get access to the detailed filings without signing up & logging in. Which I can’t be bothered to do.

cgarvieuk
beers 37619 º places 457 º 07:38 Tue 2/3/2015

Originally posted by Leighton

Quality investigative work, Andrew!

I too would love to know if this is all about the ’e’ or the ’s’.

and why Redwell just dont i dont understand.
but if its is just about the e
im mystified

If you dont think the public can tell the difference between brewery names, why would you think they can tell the difference between hells and helles

afterall when ever do you see beer advertised without the brewery name.

As for passing off, id have though youd need same colour scheme, same font, deliberate attempt to obscure brewery name, Rather than just the same beer name.

andrew_drinks
beers 234 º places 7 º 07:44 Tue 2/3/2015

But what about where it’s just written on a blackboard as it is in loads of places? You could imagine seeing: ’HELLS LAGER 4.6% - Pint 4.80’ written up somewhere and not knowing who brewed it.

cgarvieuk
beers 37619 º places 457 º 07:49 Tue 2/3/2015

But what about where it’s just written on a blackboard as it is in loads of places? You could imagine seeing: ’HELLS LAGER 4.6% - Pint 4.80’ written up somewhere and not knowing who brewed it.

Well first off id not trust any pub that didnt list brewery

and second ive seen enough mistakes on chalk boards to believe that the either the e could be added or dropped by who ever was writing it.

cgarvieuk
beers 37619 º places 457 º 08:02 Tue 2/3/2015

Originally posted by chriso
Looking in the European trademark application logs, Camden had their application trademark Hells turned down after objections from a Slovakian brewery (Stieger) and the company that markets Hella water in Germany.

Sounds like, as I suspected, going for an EU-wide registration was a bit of a mistake then.

Shame you can’t get access to the detailed filings without signing up & logging in. Which I can’t be bothered to do.

1 opposition was rejected.
i think for the other, theres some agreement to not discuss for 24 months so no action till 18/05/16

Yeah 2nd objection is from German company with HELLA trademark.
Both parties have agreed on no action till 2016 but can pull out of agree ment with a few weeks notice

BeerBirraBier
08:07 Tue 2/3/2015

Originally posted by cgarvieukand why Redwell just dont i dont understand.
im mystified

My assumption is that either:

A) They don’t understand the difference between Hell/Hells/Helles

B) They see the situation as a way to act like the innocent, hard-done-by small brewery and get a load of press in the process.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 09:26 Tue 2/3/2015

Originally posted by BeerBirraBier
Originally posted by cgarvieukand why Redwell just dont i dont understand.
im mystified

My assumption is that either:

A) They don’t understand the difference between Hell/Hells/Helles

B) They see the situation as a way to act like the innocent, hard-done-by small brewery and get a load of press in the process.

There’s no denying that small brewers do get a lot of good publicity out of these situations.

It’s also quite understandable & legitimate that they use publicity to fight battles that otherwise they’d inevitably lose due to lack of resources. And that the bigger "oppressors" are often induced to back down due to adverse publicity that the agents they use to police these things for them seem rather insensitive to (and surprised by).

The extent to which the smaller party cynically exploits the publicity opportunity is often harder to judge.

andrew_drinks
beers 234 º places 7 º 09:28 Tue 2/3/2015

Redwell are definitely being disingenuous here, from the situation coming about in the first place, to the adolescent tone of their initial blog post, to their ridiculous crowdfunding attempt (if you want to fight it, own it and do it on your own coin), to their asinine tweets over the weekend.