CAMRA 2014-2015

Reads 4088 • Replies 62 • Started Wednesday, December 10, 2014 1:30:05 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 09:37 Fri 12/12/2014

Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by SilkTork
Market forces will work, not legislation.

In this particular area, or in any area? If the latter, that’s a very big discussion!

Unregulated market forces will give us no pubs at all, just a few overpriced style bars and a load of overpriced rabbit hutches sold off to speculators and Rachmanites.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 10:28 Fri 12/12/2014

Originally posted by BeerViking

In this particular area, or in any area? If the latter, that’s a very big discussion!

Unregulated market forces will give us no pubs at all, just a few overpriced style bars and a load of overpriced rabbit hutches sold off to speculators and Rachmanites.

Allowing any business sector to become heavily influenced by unregulated, opportunistic, over-borrowed, property speculators is always going to be a recipe for disaster. And my experience of that goes way back to the secondary banking crisis of the 1970s. Or, at least, the fallout from it. Which lasted for years.

AndrewC
beers 407 º places 1 º 14:48 Fri 12/12/2014

I agree entirely with SilkTork on page 1. CAMRA took a hemorrhaging style of beer and managed to keep it on life support during the 70’s & 80’s (and I thank them for that) but it was Tim Martin who brought it back to health.

I’m still a CAMRA member but its only because I like the feel of not paying on the door at regional beer festivals (that and the fact I never get round to cancelling the standing order).

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 20:39 Fri 12/12/2014

Allowing any business sector to become heavily influenced by unregulated, opportunistic, over-borrowed, property speculators is always going to be a recipe for disaster. And my experience of that goes way back to the secondary banking crisis of the 1970s. Or, at least, the fallout from it. Which lasted for years.

Don’t get me started on the mortgage crises!

BlackHaddock
beers 15444 º places 1051 º 15:49 Mon 12/15/2014

Interesting thread: been away again, so did not join in.

I am the local CAMRA Branch Social Sec and a member of the CAMRA Investors Club (£18 million invested between about 4,000 of us).

Do I feel bad about having shares in Greed King, Adnams, Fullers or Marstons? No, happy thanks.

I stopped going to our own beer festivals (and other CAMRA ones) because of the beer condition and lack of seating for customers about 4 years ago: everything has now changed and the beer quality along with chairs and tables seem to be a 100% better. This year I have had only good experiences. Staff have always been fine with me and I hope when I have worked at fests people would have said the same about me!

Has the ’campaign’ lost it’s way? Yes and No. Can’t be arsed to amplify or pontificate.

Is the Good Beer Guide a true reflection of Real Ale pubs? I think so, our branch certainly ensure only the best quality and conditioned Real Ale pubs get into our allocation. Other branches may well not be so careful, but most play the game and follow the very strict rules and voting system.

Is CAMRA full of arseholes? I hope not, we do have a beard or two, sandals and eccentric types in our branch, but with over 600 members in Telford and East Shropshire we also have suits, young ladies and normal people in far greater numbers than the ’weird’ option favoured by anti-CAMRA types.

<*))))))><

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 04:18 Tue 12/16/2014

Never been arsed to go to a branch meeting. Then again, my branch is "Germany".

Is oversized glassware a real campaign issue now? I, for one, hope so. Not that I’m worried about short pours, rather, I’m sick of pints filled to the brim, slopping up the bar, table, floor, my hands, etc. Not so much a problem in the North with an inch of sparkler head on a pint, I suppose.

evilempire
beers 162 º places 110 º 07:03 Tue 12/16/2014

tbh they’ve gone a bit quiet on that one but at one point it seemed to be their main issue, so they wanted every landlord in the country to shell out for new oversized glasses with a line

if you want to stop short pints it’d be easier and better to ban sparklers... (ducks for cover...)

BlackHaddock
beers 15444 º places 1051 º 07:11 Tue 12/16/2014

Originally posted by evilempire

if you want to stop short pints it’d be easier and better to ban sparklers... (ducks for cover...)

I used to love sparklers on Bonfire night when I was little. Never used a Duck for a cover though (unless you consider my old eiderdown quilt as a cover).

<*))))))><

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 17:58 Tue 12/16/2014

Originally posted by evilempire
tbh they’ve gone a bit quiet on that one but at one point it seemed to be their main issue, so they wanted every landlord in the country to shell out for new oversized glasses with a line

SilkTork
beers 7741 º places 111 º 10:46 Thu 12/18/2014

Market forces is letting everyone decide, legislation is letting a few decide. If it is felt the people are being mislead or deceived, then win the argument by discussion not by force - legal or military. Legislation inhibits creativity and natural development.